Honored Contributor

Is It Uncomfortable To Drive At Night?

At all ages, harsh lights in the eyes are uncomfortable and can be dangerous, especially when driving.  When I close where I work, it's dark and there is a dangerous turn I must make where I angle down slightly and waiting cars are angled slightly upward so their light shines directly in my eyes.  Also there are those extremely bright lights with a blue cast that are very uncomfortable to see.

I got a pair of night driving glasses by Novatica ($26.97), polarized, from amazon and I LOVE them!  Looking straight into the brightest light is totally comfortable!  What a difference!  Whoopie!!!!!

Does anyone else have night glasses?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is It Uncomfortable To Drive At Night?

Thanks for the suggestion. I notice some newer vehicles with led lighting are starting to really annoy me.

I have a pair of high quality non-prescription sunglasses that cut sunglare so maybe it's time for high quality night vision goggles!

Honored Contributor

I avoid driving at night.  It's not hard since there's no place I need to go.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I try to avoid driving at night if I can help it.  I never minded driving after dark when I lived in WA, because there was adequate ambient light from streetlights, but here in Tucson, which is a "dark skies" town (the International Dark Sky Association is located here), due to observatories in the area, it's darker than dark!  Streetlights mostly only at major intersections & other than that it's dark other than lights on houses & buildings, but not on the street.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG 

The only time it bothers me to drive at night is when it is raining then the glare of the headlights bother me and since I live in the Pacific Northwest that is a problem.  Is it the glasses with the yellow lens you bought?  If so I got some last year and I can't really decide if they help me.  Like I said I only have the problem in the rain.  

Honored Contributor

Not usually.  The topic reminded me of my father.  I was following him one night.  Every time I caught up to him, he'd go faster.  Later learned, he couldn't see.  My car was taller and apparently the light hit his mirror.

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

@ECBG 

The only time it bothers me to drive at night is when it is raining then the glare of the headlights bother me and since I live in the Pacific Northwest that is a problem.  Is it the glasses with the yellow lens you bought?  If so I got some last year and I can't really decide if they help me.  Like I said I only have the problem in the rain.  

@DiAnneI never have a problem driving in the rain if there is even a ray of light.  I have worn Oakley sunglasses since the 80's.  They kill the glare completely and are very popular with snow skiers.  My first came from a ski shop in a strip mall.  They let me stand outside their door and test the glasses.  I stared at white glare on a car bumper.

I got the Oakley M frame (amazon $79 plus change) and have always worn the wide lenses which surprised me with a bonus.  This is my second ever pair because someone damaged my first pair this year!  Grrr.....

I have absolutely no wrinkles on the side of my eyes!  (it's covered!)Smiley Happy  Extra nose and ear pieces can be ordered for about $15.00 every 4 or 5 years.  Seperate lenses are also available.  Also LOVE them because they're very light weight!Smiley Happy

Image result for oakley m frame glasses

Honored Contributor

I'd rather drive at night than into the rising or setting sun

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

At all ages, harsh lights in the eyes are uncomfortable and can be dangerous, especially when driving.  When I close where I work, it's dark and there is a dangerous turn I must make where I angle down slightly and waiting cars are angled slightly upward so their light shines directly in my eyes.  Also there are those extremely bright lights with a blue cast that are very uncomfortable to see.

I got a pair of night driving glasses by Novatica ($26.97), polarized, from amazon and I LOVE them!  Looking straight into the brightest light is totally comfortable!  What a difference!  Whoopie!!!!!

Does anyone else have night glasses?

Sounds like you need to take a trip to your ophthalmologist to get your eyes checked. It should never be uncomfortable to drive at night. And for bright lights bothering you? You just may have cataracts. Get it checked out instead of wearing some glasses that may mask a much deeper eye issue.

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

In the winter in poorly lit areas when it’s raining, it’s hard to see the white lines on the road. I’m glad I have fog lamps on my car.