Honored Contributor

Re: Is It Uncomfortable To Drive At Night?

I can not, every thing looks so different to me,i actually get scared.My car is 20 yrs old this year.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I've never been a good driver at night. Even in my twenties.

Honored Contributor

I don't drive at night because I have night blindness, but I have on occasion and I get very nervous.  Seems to be getting worse the older I get. 

Respected Contributor

I have lousy night vision, always have. It is a common problem lots of people have. If it’s dark, raining, and I’m wearing my contacts, I feel very much like Mr. Magoo and it stresses me out! Fortunately my commute to work is fairly short and I could drive in my sleep.

Honored Contributor

I'm a nervous driver, so I detest driving at night. I had to do so at one point several times a week for work. But now that I don't have much occasion for it, I'm probably very rusty.

I also don't drive freeways (don't yell at me). This no freeway thing has at times made life difficult for me, as you might imagine.

Once at night I was driving surface streets to get to a business dinner and inadvertently got on a freeway. It took all I had to stay composed and figure out how get of the dilemma in which I found myself.

I remember having to tell someone that I didn't know very well that I don't drive freeways, and she asked me how my husband let me get away with that. Such a wrong comment on so many levels.

In my next life, I am determined to be a race driver.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

Do those night glasses fit over prescription glasses?  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 : We must be twins. Never comfortable or confident driving even at age 16. I was a premature baby with cerebral palsy. Had corrective surgery for legs , feet and left eye. Still had multiple eye issues and left eye would blurr if turned head fast plus depth perception, never comfortable driving especially on the freeway, at night or bad weather. Anxiety medicine didn’t help. After minor accidents finally had an eye doctor to understand all my issues and wrote a note for my employer. Problems got worse and finally told not to drive at age 40 and disabled retired at age 45. Some people still think that I lied and made everything up. Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

I don't care for night driving, but do I do it if I have to? Yes......I prefer day driving though, I don't mind night driving if it is just around town, but not on the highways, especially deserted country roads....The older I get, the more I hate driving though.......

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I'd rather drive at night than into the rising or setting sun

@Desertdi The headlights I have to look into when making the turn from work (in the dark) are as bright as the sun at night when I close.  Miserable.

Honored Contributor

I noticed as I have gotten older I really don't like driving. I don't drive much at night but find the dark bothers me, with the lights of the cars, I find the streets and highways aren't well lit. I hate driving in the morning when the sun is rising, it really blinds me at times, staring straight into the sun ( I did spend a lot of money on prescription sunglasses with special lenses to cut the glare). I had cataract surgery on my left eye ( at a young age) I thought it would help with my driving at different times of the day, it really didn't.