Esteemed Contributor

Re: GROWN KIDS COMING HOME TO ROOST

@Shanus, your son is a lucky man as is his family.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't understand what all the fuss is about.
We have opened our home to my daughters friends on several occasions when they needed a place to stay. Some where just a day or two. One was all summer twice. I couldn't have told my daughter or her friend no. And I never regretted it.

Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

I don't understand what all the fuss is about.
We have opened our home to my daughters friends on several occasions when they needed a place to stay. Some where just a day or two. One was all summer twice. I couldn't have told my daughter or her friend no. And I never regretted it.

There's no 'fuss', however a night or two is not the same as an open ended stay imo.

Esteemed Contributor

It all looks very nice on paper but children (and we don't know their ages) come with "stuff".  OP says their things are in storage.  Hard to believe that all four people are going to share one shelf in the fridge and 2 drawers, etc., and there is no mention of them contributing monetarily.  If the OP can afford to take on four more people, then she can afford to set them up in an apartment for a couple of months and pay the rent.  The son is going to stay there for the first 3 months and then the rest will come and stay until whenever they find a place.  What's wrong with the son starting to look for a house during the three months he's there?

There's a lot missing from this "story".  JMO  Who would want their MIL disciplining their children?  This is the stuff fairy tales are made of.  And they all lived happily ever after.  LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Jmo but the negative replies to @Shanus say more about other posters relationships with their children and parenting than the OP's. Such hostile and troubling responses from some.

Honored Contributor

@sophiamarie wrote:

It all looks very nice on paper but children (and we don't know their ages) come with "stuff".  OP says their things are in storage.  Hard to believe that all four people are going to share one shelf in the fridge and 2 drawers, etc., and there is no mention of them contributing monetarily.  If the OP can afford to take on four more people, then she can afford to set them up in an apartment for a couple of months and pay the rent.  The son is going to stay there for the first 3 months and then the rest will come and stay until whenever they find a place.  What's wrong with the son starting to look for a house during the three months he's there?

There's a lot missing from this "story".  JMO  Who would want their MIL disciplining their children?  This is the stuff fairy tales are made of.  And they all lived happily ever after.  LOL

Why not take the OP at face value @sophiamarie? She has explained the situation very clearly and since she's her son's mother, she knows him better than we do as far as disciplining goes! This is another thread topic but kids need to know and learn respect. 

Since the son and his parents have the time, space and resources then none of us should worry about their finances!

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

I haven't read all the responses on this rather long thread, but I'd be thrilled if my son and his family wanted to relocate near me!  Yes, I would do everything I could to assist, and they would be welcome in my home during the transition.

As for living in a short term rental...in my area there are two types:  1.  Dumps in bad neighborhoods where I wouldn't want them to live.  or 2.  Expensive vacation rentals that would eat up most or all of the $$$ they would need to put toward a new home of their own.

Honored Contributor

I would never make assumptions about a posters financial  or  family situation. I'm glad some of these people aren't my neighbors

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I would never make assumptions about a posters financial  or  family situation. I'm glad some of these people aren't my neighbors

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

I'm glad they're not my parents, inlaws or grands @cherryWoman Sad

Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

I haven't read all the responses on this rather long thread, but I'd be thrilled if my son and his family wanted to relocate near me!  Yes, I would do everything I could to assist, and they would be welcome in my home during the transition.

As for living in a short term rental...in my area there are two types:  1.  Dumps in bad neighborhoods where I wouldn't want them to live.  or 2.  Expensive vacation rentals that would eat up most or all of the $$$ they would need to put toward a new home of their own.

Exactly @september and if the area that the OP lives in is anything like where I live, rentals aren't available until around June anyway because of the school year ending, Negative posters assume too much!

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson