Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest   Congrats on the new puppy that will be arriving soon!  They are just the best dogs.  I had 2 before I had the dogs that I have now and they were wonderful.

I must warn you that I have a 10 month Lab and, in the time that we have had him, he has wreaked his share of havoc.  I have a Portie also and we figured playing with her, several walks in the park a day and running in the yard would wear him out....NO!  I was dog sitting for 2 other Labs yesterday and even with 3 dogs to entertain him, he still managed to get into mischief.

You might want to consider hiring someone if you are not able to do several brisk, long walks in the day.  Also, multitudes of play/training time are necessary.  You will have your hands full for quite awhile.

In the end, it will be worth it to have a loving, sweet, gentle Golden.  The good thing, like childbirth, you forget all of the puppy mischief that you dealt with. Smiley Happy

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

As much as I love Goldens....and miss my sweet Lola....I my go,den who passed away a year and a half ago....will never again have one with the inbreeding causing them to get cancer  and die early deaths. I can not go through the worry of it all. 

I've seen this time and time again. 

Respected Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

@goldensrbest   Congrats on the new puppy that will be arriving soon!  They are just the best dogs.  I had 2 before I had the dogs that I have now and they were wonderful.

I must warn you that I have a 10 month Lab and, in the time that we have had him, he has wreaked his share of havoc.  I have a Portie also and we figured playing with her, several walks in the park a day and running in the yard would wear him out....NO!  I was dog sitting for 2 other Labs yesterday and even with 3 dogs to entertain him, he still managed to get into mischief.

You might want to consider hiring someone if you are not able to do several brisk, long walks in the day.  Also, multitudes of play/training time are necessary.  You will have your hands full for quite awhile.

In the end, it will be worth it to have a loving, sweet, gentle Golden.  The good thing, like childbirth, you forget all of the puppy mischief that you dealt with. Smiley Happy

@Mersha We've had one golden, 3 labs and 2 Great Danes over the last 46 years, and as I'm sure you know, bigger dogs take longer to mature. Labs are usually around 3 before they settle down a bit.

March of 2020, we adopted a 16 month old Lab/Great Pyrenees/Golden mix. He drove us CRAZY with his antics (he chewed the arms of my 2 year old sofa, chewed shoes, tore up boxes, needed constant attention). We honestly weren't sure we'd be able to keep him (DH and I are 68 & 66), he was just such a handful. Then---he turned 2 years old in November 2020. It was like a switch had been flipped...he settled down, stopped being so destructive, and just became a pleasure to be around. It was like he decided "I'm grown up now"! 

He is more Great Pyrenees in his personality, and they tend to be more "settled". He has just enough Lab doofy-ness to make him fun. I see NO Golden traits in him at all.

Oh, and did I mention he weighs 150 lbs.?

Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest Congratulations! I know you've been searching for awhile. Love the name Clancy!

We had a golden years ago, she was just the sweetest dog!

Respected Contributor

@vermint   Thank  you for sharing your dog story.  Thank heavens he finally settled down but they certainly can wear you down before they do.  Hopefully, your big guy does not want to sit in laps anymore!

I think I have some time to go before "settling down" is in the cards for me.  There is definitely a reason why God made puppies cute.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF