Honored Contributor

Re: GIFT SUGGESTIONS FOR MY 88 YEAR OLD SISTER

We received the pears one year, and I have to say, I was not impressed. 

Maybe because we grow our own, and are used to fresh pears from our own trees. 

Plus unless a woman of that age really eats a lot of fruit, they tend to ripen all at once, and are a bit of a pain to get used up.

My favorite thing to send to 'the person that has everything' is a seasonal floral or plant (this time of year, I love the evergreen arrangement with candle in it). 

It is beautiful, seasonal, and disposable when done with. Nothing to save or store, no dietary restrictions to worry about. 

Valued Contributor

I prefer giving consumables.  I drink tea so it is something I like to receive.  I always think of who gave it to me when I reach for the tea bag.  My sister sent me ten boxes (various kinds)  and I love bringing them out to share with guests.

I also like to give very nice hand soap.  My favorite is liquid soap from Molton Brown called "Naran ji".  It has a refreshing scent of Bergamot and is perfect for the guest bathroom. 

My other thought is a new set of dish towels from Williams Sonoma.  I believe they make the best.  I think people can always use dish towels. 

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Respected Contributor

A gift card to the grocery store she shops at or a really pretty Christmas flower arangement.

Respected Contributor

How about getting copies made of photos of her, her siblings, parents, you and put them in an album that she can enjoy.

Honored Contributor

@Carolm wrote:

@chickenbutt - I'm her only living relative.  I know she has an elegant home, and really doesn't need anything, and if asked would say she doesn't want anything.  I'm just trying to show appreciation for her hospitality, and let her know we are thinking of her.

Does she drink coffee or tea?    You could gift her with her favorite.

Or maybe a very nice tea towel or other kitchen item.

Even though many of us don't "need" anything, we like to have a fresh towel or other item we use daily.

Trusted Contributor

How about one of these from the Soft & Cozy line at HSN?

99F77BC5-8C76-40FC-B6EB-EF51928ABCBE.jpeg

B437A8E6-928F-4B1E-A73E-FBA0DDD378D5.jpeg

34EE78B4-7D72-4462-A8B6-C8FF662D1AB2.jpeg