Honored Contributor

GETTING INTO FACEBOOK WITHOUT A MOBILE NUMBER

All was fine, but now a pop up asks for a mobile number, and I don't have one, only a land line.  Does anyone know how to rectify this?  I can't even find a way to contact facebook about the issue.

Trusted Contributor

Re: GETTING INTO FACEBOOK WITHOUT A MOBILE NUMBER

Just enter your landline number. I have a cell but don't use it to receive texts. They can text all they want to my landline........Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

I also signed up with my landline years ago.  I don't know if they can even tell the difference.  

Honored Contributor

Some places that ask for phone number will take 000-000-0000. LOL!!! I use it when it works. They don't need my phone #.

Don't know if that will work on FB but probably not.

Honored Contributor

i have never received a text message from Facebook or anything associated with Facebook.  There are settings that you can change which will/will not allow certain people (like Friends) be able to find you using your phone number.  You can just set that to OFF.  Just check through your settings and find any that reference mobile phone or text messages.  

I have the mobile App and a couple of Groups.  What I find annoying is getting FB notifications on my phone.  I don't care if the little number shows up, but I have to be extra careful about turning my phone to silent due to all those "dings" I get.  I'm hoping I have managed to get those darn things turned off, but it's not obvious how.  Right around Christmas it seems people discovered my groups (that I have had for a couple of years now and had thought of shutting one of them down) and I would get a "ding" every time someone asked to join.

Trusted Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

i have never received a text message from Facebook or anything associated with Facebook.  There are settings that you can change which will/will not allow certain people (like Friends) be able to find you using your phone number.  You can just set that to OFF.  Just check through your settings and find any that reference mobile phone or text messages.  

I have the mobile App and a couple of Groups.  What I find annoying is getting FB notifications on my phone.  I don't care if the little number shows up, but I have to be extra careful about turning my phone to silent due to all those "dings" I get.  I'm hoping I have managed to get those darn things turned off, but it's not obvious how.  Right around Christmas it seems people discovered my groups (that I have had for a couple of years now and had thought of shutting one of them down) and I would get a "ding" every time someone asked to join.

@Icegoddess I'm not sure what kind of phone you have but on a Samsung you can address notifications from all of your apps under settings. On mine Under setting it shows notifications. When you tap that you can scroll down and toggle off  any apps you don't want them for. I'm sure it's something similar on most phones.

Theres also a way in Facebook to turn off notifications from each group but I don't really use FB so I can't remember for sure how to do it. I think probably just tap on the name of the group and look for notifications on that page and turn them off.

Honored Contributor

I quit Facebook years ago but wonder why they require a phone# now.  That would be enough for me to quit it again.

FWIW, my go-to for faking a number, if I have no other choice, is just 7777777777.     I feel something like that has to be used because I would never want to accidentally punch in somebody's actual phone number.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I know they will ask when I clean out my browsing history. 

I don't remember exactly but I either hit not now or can just x it out.

Honored Contributor

@pigletsmom wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Icegoddess I'm not sure what kind of phone you have but on a Samsung you can address notifications from all of your apps under settings. On mine Under setting it shows notifications. When you tap that you can scroll down and toggle off  any apps you don't want them for. I'm sure it's something similar on most phones.

Theres also a way in Facebook to turn off notifications from each group but I don't really use FB so I can't remember for sure how to do it. I think probably just tap on the name of the group and look for notifications on that page and turn them off.

Thanks, @pigletsmom, I do have a Samsung.  I'll have to check that out.  When I tried within the app it actually turned off ALL notifications for that group, as in on my desktop and my mobile phone.  I still want to get them on my desktop/laptop.  I can always turn the volume down on that if it becomes annoying.  I wouldn't want to turn the volume down on my mobile phone because I might miss something important especially if it's buried in my purse.  

Honored Contributor

Just give them your landline number, they just want a phone number.  FB doesn't call yo are text you or write to you or anything else.