Honored Contributor

Toddler/Cruise Ship Trial, Plea Deal Offered

Puerto Rican prosecutors have offered a plea deal to a grandfather accused of dropping a toddler to her death from a Royal Caribbean cruise ship, which would spare him jail if he accepts and pleads guilty, according to a report.

Salvatore Anello was charged with negligent homicide in the death of his granddaughter Chloe Wiegand, who plummeted 150ft to her death from a window on July 7. 

Anello, an IT worker from Valparaiso, Indiana, faces three years in prison if the case goes to trial and he's found guilty.

After a hearing in San Juan on Tuesday, prosecutors offered Anello a plea deal, which he would have to admit guilt by negligence to receive no jail time, minimum probation and minimum supervision, according to a report by CBS

Anello, who has maintained he didn't realize the window Chloe 'slipped' through was open, is reportedly considering the plea deal but is leaning towards rejecting it and taking his case to trial. 

In Tuesday's hearing, his lawyers said they plan to present Anello's medical records and evidence on his health status, and also indicated they would want a trial by jury.

His legal team will try to prove his color blindness meant he couldn't see that there wasn't any glass in the window pane the little girl fell through.  

The next court hearing is set for January 27, 2020. 

He is accused of dropping Chloe out of the window of a Royal Caribbean ship on July 7, and if found guilty of negligent homicide could face three years in prison

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Toddler/Cruise Ship Trial, Plea Deal Offered

I don't know how that defense is going to help him. 

If he was so colorblind that he couldn't tell if a window was open or closed then it was even more negligent to lift the baby up to bang on the window.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama  Agree.  As sad as it is, the grandfather is at fault.  IMO, no liability for the cruise line.  Can't people take responsibility for their own "stupid" actions???

Honored Contributor

I'd probably take the deal, even though he didn't intend to drop the baby, imo.

What a tragedy. 

RIP, dear baby.  Heart

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Frequent Contributor

Have been on numerous cruises with my grandson, now 4 years, you can tell if the windows are open..my goodness..I agree stop suing the cruise line for things stupid

things a person does..who sits a grandchild or child on a 1" ledge..if its that wide..

I am done..

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

I don't know how that defense is going to help him. 

If he was so colorblind that he couldn't tell if a window was open or closed then it was even more negligent to lift the baby up to bang on the window.

@Bird mama 

OR ....proves that perhaps the parents shouldn't have left the child in his care.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

@Bird mama  Agree.  As sad as it is, the grandfather is at fault.  IMO, no liability for the cruise line.  Can't people take responsibility for their own "stupid" actions???

Nope.....not when they see dollar signs.  This family has seen the almighty buck right from the very beginning.

Honored Contributor

You know @Spurt   I almost mentioned that but I didn't want to cause a spitstorm.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

I am astounded at the popular reaction to this tragic incident.  You've never done anything that, except for the grace of God, might have ended tragically for one of your children?  Under no circumstances that I can see would I have charged this gentleman.  No, I have not watched the video, I can't bear to.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bird mama wrote:

You know @Spurt   I almost mentioned that but I didn't want to cause a spitstorm.

@Bird mama 

Yep...I know...but what the hay Smiley Wink   So if there was a glass door made of the same material as the ship's windows he couldnt judge that either....sounds a tad dangerous...

(CCJ manufacturing cruise liners design and does production of ship window glass, frames and sliding-door systems) 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”