Honored Contributor

Re: GETTING INTO FACEBOOK WITHOUT A MOBILE NUMBER

In some instances providing a site with your phone number gives it a certain level of secure log-on. Sometimes you can use your phone number to access a particular site when you have somehow lost your password or user name.  I believe PayPal asks for a phone number, too. It's just another way to verify your identity.

Honored Contributor

It is for your security.  I get it once and a while, but I always have a not now option.  I click it and it goes away for a while.

Honored Contributor

when you sign up you are asked to provide an email or a phone number.

i use my email to sign in.

yes, sometimes they ask me to provide a phone number, but i never give them one.

sometimes they ask if you want to remain signed in by just clicking on your profile picture and i always so "not now" to that also.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I didn't know I had any replies, until just now, thanks for the input, but I solved it last night.

I went back to the pop up and saw "update your account new email," so I typed in my regular email, and it worked.  I was then sent a code to go back and enter, now have to use that every time I log in, but I never log in, so must always be logged in.  I hardly use facebook except once in a blue moon to see DD's pages, and to view Valerie's sneak peak items.

Respected Contributor

Sorry if this was already suggested.  I never entered my cell  # when I first registered on FaceBook.  However, if they now require one for new members and you don't want to enter yours, make one up! 

Esteemed Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

It is for your security.  I get it once and a while, but I always have a not now option.  I click it and it goes away for a while.

Exactly.  It's a security step, and you can opt out if you want.  Providing a phone number is not a requirement.

I've been using Facebook since 2009, and have never received a phone call or text from them. 

Honored Contributor

Many places now ask for cell numbers for verification.  Most add the landline or email option, but I have ran into a couple that asked for a cell number only.  When I put in my landline, as I never give out cell number it kicked it back and would not let me proceed.

Trusted Contributor

I signed up with my landline, not my cell, when I 1st signed with FB.  I don't want to receive texts and advertising from companies at all, let alone on my cell phone, so I just use my landline phone number whenever it asks for a mobile/cell number. 

Respected Contributor

Hmmm FB doesn't ask me for one, AOL does and i ignore it.

Regular Contributor

I signed up for FB extra security using my cell phone #. If I sign out and have to log back in they send me a text with a code to get into FB - if I don't use the code I can not log in.

This way if a hacker tries to take over your acct the code is not sent to their phone - instead it is sent to the number I have listed for FB. That's the only time they text me.

I sent this message from the last living brain cell I have.