Esteemed Contributor

Re: From Rocks to Armed Guards.....

@cherrywrote:

The world has changed ,and not for the better, since I was in school

Kids didn't have access to firearms, when I was young, and many men owned a gun for protection, or sport, back in the day.

People weren't screaming it's my right to  own a weapon, because, there was very little crime with children having weapons. Guns weren't in the fore ground, they were in the background.

Our streets weren't battle grounds, nor were our schools. Bobby Kennedy remarked after Jack was shot, that Oswald released something in this country ,when he shot Jack

I have thought about this a lot, and it seems like from this point, we did become a more violent nation

It does seem like that, doesn't it? I was raised in a gun free home. There were some men in my neighborhood who were hunters, but no one had pistols. As for AR-15s, there weren't any.  As I remember, the one weapon that was illegal to own was the switch blade knife. I could be wrong, but that's the only one I remember people talking about. I just wasn't raised in a gun culture, and have never wanted to own one. I am cautious about my surroundings, but I refuse to be paranoid and live in fear. 

Honored Contributor

@Nonametodaywrote:

@QueenDanceALotwrote:

@cherrywrote:

The president has the power to use the military to protect our kids, and this is a national crisis. I would do it if I sat in the Oval Office

The military is understaffed.  Where will the personnel come from?

@QueenDanceALot  Yes, that is what happened we ended the draft.  Had the draft continued as it should have, patriotism would have continued.  Those many of those who don't have to go, lose respect for the miltiary, feeling they are a cut above those who serve and have little or no respect what those give who serve.

@Nonametoday

I don't think "patriotism" would be "higher" if the draft were reinstituted. Our draft history show that a disproportionate number of those drafted placed low on the economic ladder and I have no reason to believe that this would change.

Sending the poorest young people off to fight wars would do nothing to increase patriotism.  Now, if there were an equitable system of public service requirements for ALL people, that might be something valuable and positive.  But that's another topic.

Valued Contributor

@SahmIamwrote:

@Kalliwrote:

Here’s the issue for me: we have to change what we’re doing.  The current situation is not acceptable. So let’s give change a try. What if taking semi-automatics off the market DOES lower these incidents?  Then we know we’re on the right track. If it doesn’t make a difference, try something else. But don’t accept the status quo.  

@Kalli Not going to happen nor do I believe that is what you mean to say. Why? Because every pistol I own is a semi-automatic. Unless you're talking a revolver, Glocks (used by the police and Federal agents), Sigs, Ruger, etc are ALL semi-automatics. People need to educate themselves on the terms regarding weapons before they start demanding to do this or that. 

THEN and only then can a true discussion begin.

YES @SahmIam. EXCELLENT point. 

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2wrote:

@hckynutwrote:

@Ms tyrion2wrote:

More guns is not the answer. Never was. Never will be.

@Ms tyrion2,

And your answer is?  

hckynut(john)

Sensible gun control.

Private citizens cannot buy military style weapons.

Limits to high capacity magazines.

Background checks for all gun and ammo purchases.

No guns for those on terror watch lists.

No guns for those who have been convicted of domestic abuse or other violent crimes.

Heavy penalties for those who do not safely secure their weapons in their households. 

Mandatory waiting periods for purchase.

A ban on modifications that convert a gun into an automatic firearm.

Will all of this cure the problem? No, but it's a start and it's better than where we are now. None of these solutions infringe on 2A.  

All of that would work for the law abiding citizens in the country.  The criminals will always have guns of every kind and will be happy to sell you one should you want it.  Laws only work on people who don't need them.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner

”Heavy penalties for those who do not safely secure their weapons in their households.”

This sounds like a good idea. Just think, parents and guardians who would have to pay large fines if their child uses their gun might be more conscientious if money is involved.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Soonerwrote:

@Ms tyrion2wrote:

@hckynutwrote:

@Ms tyrion2wrote:

@Ms tyrion2,

And your answer is?  

hckynut(john)

Sensible gun control.

No guns for those who have been convicted of domestic abuse or other violent crimes.

Heavy penalties for those who do not safely secure their weapons in their households. 

Will all of this cure the problem? No, but it's a start and it's better than where we are now. None of these solutions infringe on 2A.  

All of that would work for the law abiding citizens in the country.  The criminals will always have guns of every kind and will be happy to sell you one should you want it.  Laws only work on people who don't need them.  

That excuse just doesn't fly any more. It's only an excuse and those who voice it never have a viable plan for something else.

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2wrote:

@hckynutwrote:

@Ms tyrion2wrote:

@Ms tyrion2,

And your answer is?  

hckynut(john)

Sensible gun control.

@Ms tyrion2  We already have a Federal ban in place for those convicted of domestic abuse.  That includes possession of the weapon BEFORE the conviction.  I believe it is the Lautenburg Act (sp).

Background checks are conducted before a person can obtain a permit to carry a handgun; that permit is enough for a dealer, although some dealers will still check.

What is "sensible" gun control is a matter of perception and feasibility, not emotional reaction.

What I'm seeing a lot lately is a call for the gov't to confiscate and that is very troubling.

Should AR-15s be banned completely?  Maybe, maybe not.  We cannot prove that school shooting would diminish or stop completely if they are banned AND confiscated.

Nor can we prove that without such a ban and confiscation that these shootings will increase.

Bump stocks can be sold in many states but not attached to the rifle.  Which is illogical.

I think it would be better for people to research what laws are out there, where the Feds and States stand, and truly understand just what a semi-automatic firearm entails.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2

Thank you for your reply.

Several on your list are already laws(terrorists/felons)/Military Style? Cosmetic, and still semi-automatic. 

To buy ammo? Maybe if a person orders 1,000's of rounds, me for a 50 round box for target practice?

Household safety checks? Need a search warrant signed by a judge to check my home.

High capacity magazines? I agree, don't need them other than Law Enforcement.

Waiting period? For what reason and how long? I waited 5 weeks to get my State CCW Permit.

All in all, criminals and evil people find ways, other than guns, to kill a mass number of people, but most already have illegal firearms.

I agree on all background checks, but does that include your's and my Medical Records? What about the HIPPA Laws.

We must remember the facts. A big majority of gun related deaths are by hand guns, not "military style weapons/a rifle". A minut' number by a rifle. I am more concerned about the 62,000+ drug annual related deaths, a lot of which ate non-adult kids. Many parents seem blind to this problem. Who, my children? Nope, it is always other people's kids that do drugs.

Thanks again, appreciate your cordial reply.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@Cakers3,

You have your opinion and I have mine. My list is not an "emotional" reaction.  I could argue some of your "facts", but there is no point in doing so. Nothing will change your mind.

I was asked for my suggestions and I gave them. I wasn't asking for a critique of my qualifications and I won't ask yours.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynutwrote:

@Ms tyrion2

Thank you for your reply.

Several on your list are already laws(terrorists/felons)/Military Style? Cosmetic, and still semi-automatic. 

To buy ammo? Maybe if a person orders 1,000's of rounds, me for a 50 round box for target practice?

Household safety checks? Need a search warrant signed by a judge to check my home.

High capacity magazines? I agree, don't need them other than Law Enforcement.

Waiting period? For what reason and how long? I waited 5 weeks to get my State CCW Permit.

All in all, criminals and evil people find ways, other than guns, to kill a mass number of people, but most already have illegal firearms.

I agree on all background checks, but does that include your's and my Medical Records? What about the HIPPA Laws.

We must remember the facts. A big majority of gun related deaths are by hand guns, not "military style weapons/a rifle". A minut' number by a rifle. I am more concerned about the 62,000+ drug annual related deaths, a lot of which ate non-adult kids. Many parents seem blind to this problem. Who, my children? Nope, it is always other people's kids that do drugs.

Thanks again, appreciate your cordial reply.

hckynut(john)

John,

You might want to check your facts. The ban on terror watch list purchases was rolled back by the current administration as were the restrictions on the mentally ill ability to buy a gun.

I should properly have said close all the loopholes for background checks.

If a homeowner's gun is used in the commission of a crime, the police darn sure could be allowed to check the storage safety of that homeowner. That's where the penalty situation would come into play. Or, if a child shoots himself or someone else. If you store your weapons properly, you should have no problem with this one.

Finally, yes. Ban assault style weapons. No one will change my mind on this one.