Honored Contributor

I have never been scared of much in my life, always felt safe.

Always felt safe and good in my environment.....  This is coming from someone who is against feeling fear and letting fear rule your life.....

But, I am starting to feel less and less safe these days...

.... I worry about my home being robbed when I am away from home... ( gosh really even when home with all these home invasion robberies!)

I worry about people texting while driving and being high oh drugs and alcohol when I am driving  on the roads... 

I worry about getting shot up by some crazy lunatic  when I get to my destination...

It just seems easier to stay home... and order what I need online. My "SAFE" world has become more like a nightmare anymore.   

Honored Contributor

Re: I have never been scared of much in my life, always felt safe.

@SeaMaiden  that is a slippery slope to embark on. I would not go down that road. People who give in to that type of thiking, can become a recluse. It isn't really healthy

If you can't shake it talk to your DR

Valued Contributor

what kind of life is that though, just staying at home for fear of what could happen? That isn't living...and like @cherry said, it isn't healthy thinking either. 

Respected Contributor

I’ve had those feelings sometimes too. For me I think it is all the turmoil in the world today that is bringing on these feelings. 

Regular Contributor

My concern is the cell phone and texting that is too prevalent in cars.  

Honored Contributor

I do understand your feelings @SeaMaiden but I would fight them

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden

Yep, its a scary world we live in and you dont feel safe whether you live in a small town (look what happened in Sutherland Springs, TX) or a big city.  It doesnt matter if you are at a movie theater, work at a school, or are in church, or picking up a package....OR diving on a bridge...OR .yes driving while people are texting or distracted in some other way....and yes for states that legalized pot--dealing with drivers that are high on the highway.....(they are saying pot stays in your system longer than alcohol)---and lets not forget drunk drivers too! 

All you can do is get a job where you work from home, have your groceries delivered, order everything online and not leave your house....OR live life the best you can, and say a prayer whenever you leave your house............

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

We are not scared for us; what will happen will happen.  It isn't because we don't think something bad will happen, that we are immune; rather it is just a matter of going out and living.

I will say that it crossed my mind at the last concert we attended-not so much for gun shots but for fire which I think is a normal reaction, especially being with a disabled person.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I too feel that it is harder to feel totally secure in todays environment.  

However, the thoughts you’ve expressed sound like anxiety to me.   My mother has always been an anxious person, but aging exacerbated those “worry” feelings to a very uncomfortable level for which she now takes medication.   

I am always cautious and alert when I’m out, but I’m never worried.   

Honored Contributor

Whenever I find myself going down that road of fear I just remember what my dear Grandmother told me way back in the 80's right before my new husband's first business trip.  "If they are going to get me they will get me well rested."  She was referring to burglars of course way back then but I still use it to strengthen myself when today's world scares me.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."