Respected Contributor

Re: From Rocks to Armed Guards.....

Here’s the issue for me: we have to change what we’re doing.  The current situation is not acceptable. So let’s give change a try. What if taking semi-automatics off the market DOES lower these incidents?  Then we know we’re on the right track. If it doesn’t make a difference, try something else. But don’t accept the status quo.  

Trusted Contributor

@Kalliwrote:

Here’s the issue for me: we have to change what we’re doing.  The current situation is not acceptable. So let’s give change a try. What if taking semi-automatics off the market DOES lower these incidents?  Then we know we’re on the right track. If it doesn’t make a difference, try something else. But don’t accept the status quo.  

@Kalli I don’t understand why people don’t think things would improve if assault weapons were banned.  It’s like suggesting we should just get rid of the minimum drinking age, because incidents of accidents and death among those under 21 won’t go up, anyway.  Or saying we should just legalize heroin, because addiction rates woudn’t increase, they would just stay the same.  Would deaths would go up if we abolished the drinking age and more people get addicted to heroin if it were legal?  Personally, I think so.  It would also make sense that mass shootings would go down if assault weapons were banned.  Sure, kids could still find a way to get alcohol, and drug addicts can still buy heroin on the street, but everyone is better off and safer if these things, along with guns, are not so easily accessible.

Honored Contributor

@fourpaws56wrote:

Image may contain: text

The one with the RED circle sure won't !

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2wrote:

More guns is not the answer. Never was. Never will be.

@Ms tyrion2,

And your answer is?  

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Pook,

Prepared to die? Several mass killers are still alive. One thing known for sure is this. The sooner someone starts shooting back at the killers, the fewer people will end up dead. The killer either kills himself, or is taken out by a person shooting back.

Note:  "Gun Free Zones" seem to be their favorite targets, I wonder why?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALotwrote:

@cherrywrote:

The president has the power to use the military to protect our kids, and this is a national crisis. I would do it if I sat in the Oval Office

The military is understaffed.  Where will the personnel come from?

@QueenDanceALot  Yes, that is what happened we ended the draft.  Had the draft continued as it should have, patriotism would have continued.  Those many of those who don't have to go, lose respect for the miltiary, feeling they are a cut above those who serve and have little or no respect what those give who serve.

Honored Contributor

I remember nuclear bomb drills when I was a kid.  They scared the **** out of me.  I can only imagine how shooter drills are affecting kids today.   

It's interesting that that state and federal governments want to staff armed guards and provide weapons training when they can't/won't provide enough books and supplies.  

Honored Contributor

@Kalliwrote:

@Kalli Not going to happen nor do I believe that is what you mean to say. Why? Because every pistol I own is a semi-automatic. Unless you're talking a revolver, Glocks (used by the police and Federal agents), Sigs, Ruger, etc are ALL semi-automatics. People need to educate themselves on the terms regarding weapons before they start demanding to do this or that. 

THEN and only then can a true discussion begin.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynutwrote:

@Ms tyrion2wrote:

More guns is not the answer. Never was. Never will be.

@Ms tyrion2,

And your answer is?  

hckynut(john)

Sensible gun control.

Private citizens cannot buy military style weapons.

Limits to high capacity magazines.

Background checks for all gun and ammo purchases.

No guns for those on terror watch lists.

No guns for those who have been convicted of domestic abuse or other violent crimes.

Heavy penalties for those who do not safely secure their weapons in their households. 

Mandatory waiting periods for purchase.

A ban on modifications that convert a gun into an automatic firearm.

Will all of this cure the problem? No, but it's a start and it's better than where we are now. None of these solutions infringe on 2A.  

Respected Contributor

@Kalliwrote:

I’m a recently retired elementary teacher.  After Columbine we had drills often, training us to lock our doors at first sign of gun violence, turn out lights and hide our students out of sight. It worked as long as the gunman didn’t get into your room and as long as you didn’t open your door to allow any stray students in. 

One inservice day local law enforcement participated in the mock drill using devices that were LOUD and sounded like the real thing. We’d locked ourselves inside the classrooms as violence was taking place in the halls. Kids(actors) were banging on the doors begging to be allowed in, screaming that the “gunman” was coming, crying, and then begging for their lives while one by one they were executed. It really sounded like the real thing. It was so hard to listen to that even though we knew it wasn’t real.  It felt real.

Our last training session before I retired we trained in a new approach. The new training was to go down fighting. Yes-Lock door, Push tables, teacher desks, up against the door. But if the door is breached, rush the gunman, throw, toss, jam anything you have at him. (Brooms, student desks, chairs) He’s looking for no resistance and trying to inflict the most casualties as quickly as possible so he can move on. There will be casualties but a few may survive and if nothing else, you’ve slowed his progress as the police are hopefully on their way. 

That’s the purpose of the rocks in each classroom. It’s actually a strategy that is better than huddling in a corner waiting to die. Research has shown that the gunman does not expect this kind of resistance.  And if nothing else it may allow the students in the next room to survive. 

The rocks idea is really not that laughable. Surprising a shooter by fighting back and getting him or her distracted may just save some lives. I work in a school as a secretary for an early intervention program and when we talked about active shooter situations, I always said, as a last resort, I would throw staplers, scissors, even hurtle a chair towards the gunman. My risk is probably lower of having a shooting since I work in a special needs school and our students don't have the mental or physical capability of comitting such a crime,  but you never know if we get a disgruntled or disturbed parent who thinks coming in with guns blazing is the way to settle a grievance they might have, or someone that has some type of agenda against disabled children. Sad to say this is the new normal.