Trusted Contributor

Re: Forced banking online, or by appointment only

For some reason where I live they keep opening up more banks...cant figure it out...

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh Thank you. I think that's what I have. Since I had a birthday this week and I am over 30, I guess my goldmine is complete. LOL   

Respected Contributor

@Laura14 Since your bonds are over 30 year, they have matured and some have gained extra interest!  Treasury Direct has a form that will calculate their value as of today.  It will tell you the purchase price, interest and total value.  Once you have entered all your bonds, you can print it out for your records.  It's a good thing you are sitting down because you will be shocked!  If any of the bonds are in your name and one of your parents name and are retired, they can cash them and the tax will be at a considerable lower rate. 

Have a fun time finding out the value!!!!!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@Somertime Thank you! 

Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 - Very sadly for all of us, banks are moving toward going "cashless", with a  digital wallet for everyone in the US of A.  We will need a cellphone or a computer to do banking.  I would imagine checks will be eliminated, too.  Everything will be done online.  I find this terrifying, because without any official bank "paper" to back up our transactions from deposits to payments to withdrawals and balances, if a hacker hacks your bank, all of your "money" will go poof, and good luck proving it ever existed! That some here are already having trouble accessing their hard earned money at their bank should open all of our eyes to the glitches, and major problems ahead.

I sincerely hope that we will all collectively complain to our banks and credit unions and write and call those who represent our interests at the state and federal level to stop this conversion from paper and coin money to digital money right now. The plans are being developed to do this as I type these words.  This is not a conspiracy theory.  This is our new reality. Use cash, take out cash, and spend cash in the meantime, whenever you can, while you still can.  

Respected Contributor

By doing online bank, you have far more proof that your deposit existed, that cash was withdrawn because you have the ability to print out your daily transactions if you wish because of the ability of seeing it posted.  An in bank transaction does not give you the opportunity to "see" your account.  If you make a deposit, you have a copy of the deposit slip, if you cash a check, you need to wait until you receive your bank statement at the end of the month.

There is a lot of value to be able to see your account daily online and monitor your transactions easily as they occur instead of waiting for an end of the month paper statement.

Trusted Contributor

Probably in the anticipation of when the money system changes over to digital currency.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

@Jersey Born wrote:

@sunshine45 - Very sadly for all of us, banks are moving toward going "cashless", with a  digital wallet for everyone in the US of A.  We will need a cellphone or a computer to do banking.  I would imagine checks will be eliminated, too.  Everything will be done online.  I find this terrifying, because without any official bank "paper" to back up our transactions from deposits to payments to withdrawals and balances, if a hacker hacks your bank, all of your "money" will go poof, and good luck proving it ever existed! That some here are already having trouble accessing their hard earned money at their bank should open all of our eyes to the glitches, and major problems ahead.

I sincerely hope that we will all collectively complain to our banks and credit unions and write and call those who represent our interests at the state and federal level to stop this conversion from paper and coin money to digital money right now. The plans are being developed to do this as I type these words.  This is not a conspiracy theory.  This is our new reality. Use cash, take out cash, and spend cash in the meantime, whenever you can, while you still can.  

@Jersey Born 

i do make my voice heard and i do mention my complaints AND my compliments.

i am not getting nervous just yet. as of now, we are doing about half and half in our business.......half credit cards, half cash/checks. i do need a place to go to get some things done, including getting change and getting cash OUT of the bank. as of now, i can only get a maximum of $1000 cash out of an ATM from our banks. sometimes, that doesnt work for our business. 

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Jersey Born wrote:

@Jersey Born 

I remember the first time I heard ... years ago .... that the government was considering they stop making and issuing pennies.  Mind boggling, I thought.  HOW would we ever pay for anything without coins and paper money?  

I am very happy to pay my bills online, but I hate the idea of never having "cash".

Valued Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 - what kind of bond is your sister buying?  I just went to the treasury website and...

An EE savings bond is a U.S. Treasury security. It earns interest until it reaches 30 years or until you cash it, whichever comes first.

EE bonds issued since May 2005 earn a fixed rate of interest. When you buy the bond, you know the rate of interest it will earn.

For an EE bond bought from November 2021 through April 2022, the rate is 0.10%. Regardless of the rate, at 20 years the bond will be worth twice what you pay for it. If you keep the bond that long, we make a one-time adjustment then to fulfill this guarantee.