New Contributor

You're very wise to check into charities you wish to donate to.  Keep in mind that sites such as Charity Navigator require a good bit of work on the charity's part.  I know this because I am a volunteer for a nonprofit that raises and trains service dogs for wounded veterans.  We are fairly small and looked into this to help with fundraising.  We are very proud of the fact that approximately 97% of our donations go straight to our program!  In order to be listed on Charity Navigator, you have to have a budget of $1 million or over AND get (I think the number is) 1,000 "votes."  So as a small, volunteer-based nonprofit, we've decided against that at this time.  

Good luck to you!

Esteemed Contributor

If you look local, there many causes that need support.  Local schools often outfit kids in need, food pantries always, and warm bodies to offer work.

Honored Contributor

Re: For those who donate

[ Edited ]

@Abrowneyegirl 

I donate to several local and also national charities....during one of the Big Give fund drives I found a small charity that does a great deal of good work ....so dont forget the small charities whose overhead is low, and they rely strictly on non-paid volunteers......

Regarding Charity Navigator keep in mind it does cost them money to maintain their website and do independent research on each charity and maintain a technical staff to keep up with current data...so I dont mind giving them a dollar or two..... Also, if you are looking for a religious charity they dont do those organizations....You can check out those organizations through the ECFA https://www.ecfa.org/Members.aspx  

enter a name and scroll down and it will bring up their report....

One of the misconceptions about charities is people think the charity is spending a lot of money on TV commercials when in fact the TV stations are DONATING this time .....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

Re: For those who donate

[ Edited ]

Sorry, but cannot provide you with the list you are looking for although I do remember what you are referring to and hope you find it.

I still have my own favorite (for private reasons) charities that I've been donating to on a regular basis. However, my broker suggested (this year) that I fill out the paperwork for an "IRA Distribution" which will help with taxes!  I did. Each charity listed has received the annual donation I desired for 2021 (my decision each year) and it should help when filing my taxes next year (for 2021). My checks were issued by my broker's assistant when and for the amount I requested. Next year I'll make a similar request (amount may or may not vary) and I may add or delete charities. It's very easy and convenient. Check with your financial advisor for more information. BTW: I haven't started to draw any funds from my IRA and ROTH IRA's - don't plan to touch them until at least age 75, except for this tax-saving way of giving to charities. 

ETA: IIRC I'll also receive a 1099 (or something similar) to reflect my donations through my brokerage firm for the tax-saving purposes, as well as proof that I had, in fact, donated to each charity a specific amount. For me, it is a win-win for filing income taxes with proof of everything documented. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl In this day and age, I only donate locally and to what I can see or to groups and individuals I know and trust.  

Otherwise you never really know what you are funding and what it is being used for. 

Honored Contributor

I don't have what you are looking for but I can make suggestions.

I doubt this is just a southern thing, but the local churches provide most of the charity work.   They run the soup kitchens, maintain homeless shelters.    Find the website for your local United Way, look up their charities, then go to the individual website & read about their work.   Most of the time they will list the percentage going to programs vs. admin expenses.

Samaritan's Purse is a worldwide organization.  I can speak from experience of their work, it's outstanding.

I also donate to Salvation Army, my time, when I can as well as my money.

My local SA provides housing for men just out of prison & do a marvelous job.    It's an incredible transformation for the men.    They also help young single pregnant women.

The need is great & you are very generous to help

Respected Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@eddyandme   I donate clothing and household items to Goodwill because they do hire people who might not qualify for jobs elsewhere, but I have never donated cash to them.

I absolutely stopped Goodwill ever since one of my customers sons came in and started to work there.  He said they toss 99% of the clothing.  That's what he told me so I redirected my donations to the Salvation Army.  They do not do that but everyone has their own.

During the Holidays I donated 6 huge boxes of new "toys" to Toys for Tots from my store inventory.  I was talking to the radio host who promotes this cause and he tells me that they all go to a huge warehouse and what you donated necessarily does not gets distributed.  So sad there is so much "hiding behind" a charity that should be giving to whom it is intended for.  It's almost better to adopt a family and you know who is using your generous donations.

Respected Contributor

I donate to some that my church recommends that may be general mulifaith charities as well.  If you belong to a church or synagogue they may offer suggestions of good ones as know the specific  financial break down. We have had speakers, retired clergy from "Food for the Poor" in  many area wide churches and part of the presentation is a finance use.

Goodwill was under fire a few years back paying top level alot of money. We have Salvation Army and a store as well as our Humane Society and thrift shop. Signs are often up refusing clothing as not enough room or help to sort, especially when people closet clean in Spring and Fall.

Local Food Pantries and Animal Shelters always need money. There are always many local monetary needs for projects. Schools, Women's Shelters, Half Way homes, Habitat for Humanity, etc. Then you know where your money is going and what it is for.

Respected Contributor

I somehow get Kroger's Corporate Updates and recently they had some event sponsoring a Charity with some well known singer involved.

Well, I wasn't famililar with whom they were raising money for but I googled the name, did some more research and found the charity was started about 6 years ago, what it was intended for was to "teach children to play tennis" yes that's true.  I found the financials online and the majority of the money was used for car rental and plane tickets.  

With a little bit of effort you can find the financials online and what's incredible which i did not know the people who create the annual reports are accounting firms that specializes in charities.

I guess, whatever you are comfortable about, you are giving, they are taking and it's your heart, you can't control what they do with the money.

Honored Contributor

My family only donates to local churches, food pantries, veterans groups, and towards upkeep on our rural family cemeteries.