Honored Contributor

“For First Time, Pharmaceutical Distributor Faces Federal Criminal Charges Over Opioid Crisis” NY TI

New York Times article

For First Time, Pharmaceutical Distributor Faces Federal Criminal Charges Over Opioid Crisis”

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Re: “For First Time, Pharmaceutical Distributor Faces Federal Criminal Charges Over Opioid Crisis” N

@LTT1 

Anything that helps decrease the loss of human life each year in the United  States should be hailed. I have heard upwards of 70,000 died last year of Opiod Overdoses. This might help, but getting to the bigger distributors, is a must.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Re: “For First Time, Pharmaceutical Distributor Faces Federal Criminal Charges Over Opioid Crisis” N

That's a good step in the right direction.

My hope is to see harm reduction approach taken towards resolving our addiction crisis. Harm reduction approach works and Denmark, where it is heavily administered,  is proof that it does work.

Respected Contributor

This is off topic I know but I have a big concern. Recently my blood pressure medicine ( generic)was recalled because it is made in China and it was found to have serious cancer causing chemicals mixed in. Now the one that was substituted for it is under voluntary recall. These are a class called Angiotension 2 blockers, paired  with a diuretic. Generics...very inexpensive.

I have been taking these generics for 15 years. My question is this: if on medicare can the physician write it as no generic? I think I can probably find out if the original formulation is manufactured in the US. I will pay whatever it costs for untainted medication.

Can anyone speak to this issue? How real is the risk of contracting cancer from these pills. The pharmacist couldn't say...just return my unused pills and get a refund.

I already see the attorney ads about people who have taken these blood pressure pills and have pancreatic or other cancers calling them.

Thank you to anyone who can speak to this troubling issue.

Honored Contributor

@wonderfulworld wrote:

This is off topic I know but I have a big concern. Recently my blood pressure medicine ( generic)was recalled because it is made in China and it was found to have serious cancer causing chemicals mixed in. Now the one that was substituted for it is under voluntary recall. These are a class called Angiotension 2 blockers, paired  with a diuretic. Generics...very inexpensive.

I have been taking these generics for 15 years. My question is this: if on medicare can the physician write it as no generic? I think I can probably find out if the original formulation is manufactured in the US. I will pay whatever it costs for untainted medication.

Can anyone speak to this issue? How real is the risk of contracting cancer from these pills. The pharmacist couldn't say...just return my unused pills and get a refund.

I already see the attorney ads about people who have taken these blood pressure pills and have pancreatic or other cancers calling them.

@wonderfulworld Yes, I have the same problem. Yes, your physician can write a brand prescription but I highly doubt your insurer will pay for it. I won't risk cancer and just substituted another drug. 

Respected Contributor

Insurance companies will usually only pay for generic medications. Exception iswhen there is no generic available.  Your Dr can write on the prescription BRAND ONLY, DO NOT SUBSTITUTE  or send the same directions electronically.  However, you will have to pay the brand prices.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@wonderfulworld wrote:

@wonderfulworld Yes, I have the same problem. Yes, your physician can write a brand prescription but I highly doubt your insurer will pay for it. I won't risk cancer and just substituted another drug. 

@wonderfulworld @Trinity11 . My Dr. called my insurance company and told them I needed the regular blood pressure pills not the generic as the generic caused side effects. They said no.

Honored Contributor

I don't think it will have much effect, it might even make the situation worse.  Most addicts started as recreational drug users.  Some started by making a choice to abuse and misues their prescribed pain medications, it was consious choice.  They pharmaceutical companies realized that America loves to get high and that there was a huge market for certain drugs and they turned a blind eye to the massive number of scripts that doctors who also wanted to hop on that $$ gravey train were writing.  Pharmacies own a piece of this too.  If the market wasn't there, the business of recreational drugs wouldn't exist.  I am far from naive.  If they reign the pharmaceutical companies/physicians/pharmacists in and the supply dries up.  Criminal sources will step into the void because the market drugs isn't going away.  

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I don't think it will have much effect, it might even make the situation worse.  Most addicts started as recreational drug users.  Some started by making a choice to abuse and misues their prescribed pain medications, it was consious choice.  They pharmaceutical companies realized that America loves to get high and that there was a huge market for certain drugs and they turned a blind eye to the massive number of scripts that doctors who also wanted to hop on that $$ gravey train were writing.  Pharmacies own a piece of this too.  If the market wasn't there, the business of recreational drugs wouldn't exist.  I am far from naive.  If they reign the pharmaceutical companies/physicians/pharmacists in and the supply dries up.  Criminal sources will step into the void because the market drugs isn't going away.  

@chrystaltree 

Cant discuss it here...but when this issue first surfaced many years ago the Pharmy had some "partners" that made it go away (but not for long because now its grown into an enormous crisis)...just follow the money....$$$$

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

People will say ‘I will pay whatever it costs’ to imply

they will do anything to have safe medication.

OK

What if I told you....you don’t need medication.

Cost is...free.

Change your diet so you don’t need blood pressure medication.

Will you be so apt to do ‘anything?’

When the answer is right there for the taking?

Probably not.

People want to take a pill because it’s too inconvenient to fix it naturally.