Respected Contributor

Re: “For First Time, Pharmaceutical Distributor Faces Federal Criminal Charges Over Opioid Crisis” N

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@wonderfulworld wrote:

This is off topic I know but I have a big concern. Recently my blood pressure medicine ( generic)was recalled because it is made in China and it was found to have serious cancer causing chemicals mixed in. Now the one that was substituted for it is under voluntary recall. These are a class called Angiotension 2 blockers, paired  with a diuretic. Generics...very inexpensive.

I have been taking these generics for 15 years. My question is this: if on medicare can the physician write it as no generic? I think I can probably find out if the original formulation is manufactured in the US. I will pay whatever it costs for untainted medication.

Can anyone speak to this issue? How real is the risk of contracting cancer from these pills. The pharmacist couldn't say...just return my unused pills and get a refund.

I already see the attorney ads about people who have taken these blood pressure pills and have pancreatic or other cancers calling them.

Thank you to anyone who can speak to this troubling issue.

@wonderfulworld Yes, I have the same problem. Yes, your physician can write a brand prescription but I highly doubt your insurer will pay for it. I won't risk cancer and just substituted another drug. 

@wonderfulworld @Trinity11 . My Dr. called my insurance company and told them I needed the regular blood pressure pills not the generic as the generic caused side effects. They said no.

Thank you all for your replies. The substitute (same class of drug, different name) is made in China too. And under voluntary recall. Same contamination problems. If I can find it made in the US I might say...don't run it through the Insurance company...I will just pay cash?

Can you do that? I am going to do some research.

Honored Contributor

Re: “For First Time, Pharmaceutical Distributor Faces Federal Criminal Charges Over Opioid Crisis” N

Food isn't free.  LOL

It is illogical to say that diet will cure everything.

We are all going to die someday.  Nobody leaves this planet alive.  NOBODY I don't care how many plants you chew.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@meem120 wrote:

Insurance companies will usually only pay for generic medications. Exception iswhen there is no generic available.  Your Dr can write on the prescription BRAND ONLY, DO NOT SUBSTITUTE  or send the same directions electronically.  However, you will have to pay the brand prices.

I think that is what I will do if I can find it made in the US. Thank you!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3 wrote:

Food isn't free.  LOL

We are all going to die someday.  Nobody leaves this planet alive.  NOBODY I don't care how many plants you chew.

Knowledge is free.

People are complaining about their aches & pains from minor to severe

but they don’t want to do the actions to fix what they can.

Just wanna pop a pill.

Cure everything?  Didn’t say that...surprised that wasn’t caught

but my words offer hope...unlike many.  Saying you still have

control can be very empowering rather than ‘we’re all going to die someday.’

Don’t ever want to be a Debbie Downer like that.

You still have control.  Repeat....you STILL have control

and something like nutrition can be a start.

Stunning people don’t see the connection between nutrition & health.

Those who throw their hands up & ‘we’re all gonna die someday’

are just part of the problem.  

E9238E06-306E-4C83-AA78-655E1BB6ACE0.jpeg

Honored Contributor

One sad result of this push against opiods is the increasing number of people whose chronic pain is unbearable 24/7 and who now find it very difficult to get their prescriptions.

Oh, another tangent: I eat well and try to live well, but I have no illusions about not needing meds both now and in the future. To say that it's all about healthy living is to insinuate that the blame for illness or medical conditions lies with the person himself.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I'm proof that diet can take away the need for pain meds. I am also grateful beyond words that when I was prescribed a pain med, it was not an opioid. God bless that doc who wrote me that non-opioid Rx and thank God that I have been able, through diet and exercise, to live without that pain med any more. Life is good.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

Food isn't free.  LOL

Knowledge is free.

People are complaining about their aches & pains from minor to severe

but they don’t want to do the actions to fix what they can.

Just wanna pop a pill.

Cure everything?  Didn’t say that...surprised that wasn’t caught

but my words offer hope...unlike many.  Saying you still have

control can be very empowering rather than ‘we’re all going to die someday.’

Don’t ever want to be a Debbie Downer like that.

You still have control.  Repeat....you STILL have control

and something like nutrition can be a start.

Stunning people don’t see the connection between nutrition & health.

Those who throw their hands up & ‘we’re all gonna die someday’

are just part of the problem.  

E9238E06-306E-4C83-AA78-655E1BB6ACE0.jpeg

Yes, nutrition plays a part in a lot of illnesses BUT it isn’t a one size fits all prescription. When I was diagnosed with hypertension in my 20 ‘s, I ate healthy and exercised. I still had it and had no choice but to take medication. When I ate a plant based diet, I needed more meds than ever. Anecdotal but certainly disproved the one size fits all plant based dietary advice dispensed here...

Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@wonderfulworld wrote:

This is off topic I know but I have a big concern. Recently my blood pressure medicine ( generic)was recalled because it is made in China and it was found to have serious cancer causing chemicals mixed in. Now the one that was substituted for it is under voluntary recall. These are a class called Angiotension 2 blockers, paired  with a diuretic. Generics...very inexpensive.

I have been taking these generics for 15 years. My question is this: if on medicare can the physician write it as no generic? I think I can probably find out if the original formulation is manufactured in the US. I will pay whatever it costs for untainted medication.

Can anyone speak to this issue? How real is the risk of contracting cancer from these pills. The pharmacist couldn't say...just return my unused pills and get a refund.

I already see the attorney ads about people who have taken these blood pressure pills and have pancreatic or other cancers calling them.

@wonderfulworld Yes, I have the same problem. Yes, your physician can write a brand prescription but I highly doubt your insurer will pay for it. I won't risk cancer and just substituted another drug. 

Please check your Formulary list of your Medicare drug plan

The plan will list the meds and do they cover branded drug.

You should talk to your doctor about your concerns? 

I like a web site Drug. Com. It has a lot of information about medicine. It lists all the generics manufacturers of a certain drugs and where they are manufactured. You may want to talk to your pharmacist. 

Respected Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@wonderfulworld wrote:

Please check your Formulary list of your Medicare drug plan

The plan will list the meds and do they cover branded drug.

You should talk to your doctor about your concerns? 

I like a web site Drug. Com. It has a lot of information about medicine. It lists all the generics manufacturers of a certain drugs and where they are manufactured. You may want to talk to your pharmacist. 

Thank you...will check out Drug.com

I have been doing a little on-line research (and I know that it can be way off) but the on-line quote for 90 pills , non generic was $800.00. And even then the pills are manufactured in Switzerland and Germany.

I read some of the FDA data about the risk of cancer and it seems quite low and the containment is one found in bacon, grilled meats and water. In 'minute' amounts. The pills had a much greater amount but the estimate of cancer cases was less than 1 in 100,000. and that was taking it for much longer than I have. I will keep digging and talk to my doctor.

Thanks everyone!

Honored Contributor

@wonderfulworld 

Further discussion about your situation and answers to your questions might be better served under the Wellness category.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”