Valued Contributor

Here is south Florida the one annoyance we have are small black ants. My HOA keeps an exterminator on contract to spray the area and condo units regularly. I see a stray one here and there. I even have them in my car. Yech! I would never put food directly on the counter!

Fortunately the benefits of living here far outweigh this type of problem.

Honored Contributor

Re: Food on counters

[ Edited ]

I use a cutting board. That's what my mom taught me to do.

I don't think you're gross, though. I am sure you keep your countertops extremely clean to be able to use them that way.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Super Contributor

I always make my sandwhiches or anything else on a paper towel. Always~  I know how clean I keep the counter and know I could set it straight on the counter I just prefer a paper towel! 

Trusted Contributor

Even though my counters are clean, I never put food directly on the counter. It's always on a cutting board, a plate, or paper towel.

Respected Contributor

I always use a paper towel, cutting board or plate just so I don't have to keep wiping down the countertop. To me it's easier to clean the cutting board than the counter.

Honored Contributor

Re: Food on counters

[ Edited ]

I never put food directly on my counters.  My kitchen is always very clean.

I'll use a plate or a cutting board.  It's easier to keep clean, IMO.

Respected Contributor

Maybe they are keeping your counter clean by making things on top of b paper towels and plates. That is why I do it...to not dirty my counter.

Honored Contributor

Plates? Are the not in style anymore?

Frequent Contributor

Never.

Trusted Contributor

I always also use a napkin...paper towel...sandwich plate...etc...not so much because there are germs on my counters as they get cleaned constantly...soapy water during the day...Clorox mixed with water in the evenings...but so there isn't a mess on them from putting food on them.  Helps in cleanup..

My ma taught me this..also working in dietary in a hospital during high school we were taught never to put food on counters...it is habit now..

DW