Super Contributor

The other day my sister was over at my house and at lunchtime she started making a sandwich...on a paper towel.  I said, "I clean my counters all the time, they're clean".  She said she always puts food on a paper towel or a cutting board, never on a counter.

A friend of mine does the same thing, but she has cats that roam all over her counters so I understand that.  I have no cats, no animals of any kind, wipe down my counters constantly and have put bread, etc. on the counter for 50 years.  No problems.

Am I being gross, putting food on my kitchen counter?  I thought that's what they were for! 

What do you guys do?

Man plans. God laughs.
Honored Contributor

As clean as I am,  I would still never put food directly on a counter.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@caroln242 wrote:

The other day my sister was over at my house and at lunchtime she started making a sandwich...on a paper towel.  I said, "I clean my counters all the time, they're clean".  She said she always puts food on a paper towel or a cutting board, never on a counter.

A friend of mine does the same thing, but she has cats that roam all over her counters so I understand that.  I have no cats, no animals of any kind, wipe down my counters constantly and have put bread, etc. on the counter for 50 years.  No problems.

Am I being gross, putting food on my kitchen counter?  I thought that's what they were for! 

What do you guys do?

@caroln242, I have to admit that although I am definitely not a germaphobe, I don't put most food items directly on our counters. It might just be a habit.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

@caroln242   I never use just the counter, always a paper towel, cutting board, plate anything.  Just habit.

Respected Contributor

I always put a cutting board or paper towel on the counter when I do anything with food.  It preserves the countertop and keeps it looking beautiful.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Food on counters

[ Edited ]

If I make a sandwich, I always make it on a plate, napkin or paper towel, never on my bare counters.

I do, however, roll out dough on my bare counter top.

I never thought about it before.  When I roll dough I clean my counters off right before.  I would imagine that counters can get dusty, or be dirty because people put things on them...such as coats, bags, keys, etc.

Esteemed Contributor

Never Never & Never put food directly on my counter top.

Honored Contributor

This reminds me of one time when I was a young girl and I offended my grandmother so much because I assumed I shouldn't eat a raisin that I dropped on her kitchen floor. "My floors are clean enough to eat off of!" And she was right. She always had that mop out. Either a wet or a dust mop all day long. I still didn't want to eat it.

Your friend probably just didn't want to accidentally damage your counter. Some counter surfaces are surprisingly easy to damage. Maybe hers is like that at home.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@caroln242   I would not but if you are comfortable, then it's fine.

I'm just wondering why you have just noticed this with your sister-and were you all brought up to use a paper towel or a dish or cutting board?

Habit maybe.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

I leave a cutting board on my counter. I never put food directly on the counter, always on the board.