Honored Contributor

Re: Focusing on One Day at Time

My DD used to always tell us to not overly think about the past or overly worry about the future. Just focus on today, keep on going on each day. Makes sense.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

One day at a time is good but even better is living in the present moment.

From Eckhart Tolle:

Most humans are never fully present in the now, because unconsciously they believe that the next moment must be more important than this one. But then you miss your whole life, which is never not now.
Super Contributor

momto2cuties: It can be difficult with a busy life but even people without that can find it hard to live mindfully and in the moment.

I could list 100 books for you but if you can try to seek out a workshop or program for yourself if you have the time - reading is wonderful but linking it to actual experience with others will keep you on track.

However, I will recommend two for you:

Wherever You Go, There You Are - Jon Kabat-Zinn (outstanding person)

Stand Like Mountain, Flow Like Water - Brian Luke Seaward (leader in the field of stress reduction-another wonderful person)

Anything by Thich Nhat Hanh

Honored Contributor

It' no doubt a handicap for me, but I'm a semantic freak and it effects the way I view things. So when some one says have a blessed day, if some one does not, then does that mean they are not blessed? I prefer, have a nice day.

Honored Contributor

On 3/18/2015 JustJules said:

Always a good reminder. When some people lead such busy lives it's easy to forget and become overwhelmed by things that, in the big scheme, perhaps don't matter so much. It's important to have plans and goals for the future in order to stay focused on having the best life possible, but I think the key is keeping things in a proper perspective.

Yes! I feel when it comes to the hard things in life, one day at a time will get you through it. And slowing down enough each day to embrace and savor the good things is important.

But I also feel that we have to look ahead with plans, goals, and desires, as it also will keep us going through the rough times, if we have something in the future to look forward to.

I guess it is one of those sayings to incorporate, but not live by completely, or we'd miss the wonder of dreaming, and planning. What is it they say, it's not about the destination, it's about the getting there.

Super Contributor

On 3/18/2015 mominohio said:
On 3/18/2015 JustJules said:

Always a good reminder. When some people lead such busy lives it's easy to forget and become overwhelmed by things that, in the big scheme, perhaps don't matter so much. It's important to have plans and goals for the future in order to stay focused on having the best life possible, but I think the key is keeping things in a proper perspective.

Yes! I feel when it comes to the hard things in life, one day at a time will get you through it. And slowing down enough each day to embrace and savor the good things is important.

But I also feel that we have to look ahead with plans, goals, and desires, as it also will keep us going through the rough times, if we have something in the future to look forward to.

I guess it is one of those sayings to incorporate, but not live by completely, or we'd miss the wonder of dreaming, and planning. What is it they say, it's not about the destination, it's about the getting there.

Very well said! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Respected Contributor

I've always been a fan of..............and this too shall pass.............................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Honored Contributor

On 3/18/2015 Cakers1 said:

momto2cuties: It can be difficult with a busy life but even people without that can find it hard to live mindfully and in the moment.

I could list 100 books for you but if you can try to seek out a workshop or program for yourself if you have the time - reading is wonderful but linking it to actual experience with others will keep you on track.

However, I will recommend two for you:

Wherever You Go, There You Are - Jon Kabat-Zinn (outstanding person)

Stand Like Mountain, Flow Like Water - Brian Luke Seaward (leader in the field of stress reduction-another wonderful person)

Anything by Thich Nhat Hanh

Cakers, I agree that the chance to join a workshop, program, or group can be much more beneficial than a book. In fact, sometimes in the deepest depression I've learned I can't read or concentrate.

Thanks for those recommendations. I've heard of the first, but not the others, haven't read any of them.

Nice, thoughtful contributions from everyone.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

All of this is very true and very good to keep in mind. Something else that really helps me at times when I get overwhelmed and overcome by dealing with difficult people and difficult situations -- this doesn't always do it --- but does seem to give me a little clarity and calmness at times ---

You can't control people or change them. But you can control the way you react to them.

Just trying to remember this, does make me feel as if I have some control over things. It's hard to react well to very bad situations and when you are dealing with people who seem intent on wrecking your peace and happiness. But if you control your own reactions, you can many times diffuse the situation or refuse to let it take complete control of you.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

I agree with taking one day at a time. When I was working it was rushing from one thing to another without any time to just sit. Now that I'm retired I am busy but I have time to relish each day and appreciate what I have. Living in the day is good plus planning for the future is good and fun.