Honored Contributor
Posts: 9,210
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Ford, my brother-in-law was finally able to get through to them yesterday after trying since you first posted about the problem.

They adjusted his bill to a more reasonable amount.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 13,954
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

My suggestion - call your state representatives if you can't get through.

The utilities are regulated by the state...they will listen to reps, who have direct numbers to the officers of the company.

That's what we pay those folks for...time to make them do a little work on your behalf!

Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,997
Registered: ‎03-25-2012

I heard that on the news last night, thanks Terrier. Since both of the managers at this apartment and my new apartment said they would take care of this, I am not going to try to call (for the 50th time) as there will now be tons of folks calling to get their refunds also.

My situation has always been different. I've been getting credits on my gas bill for years while living here. I always thought it was because this apartment is partially government-subsidized and because of my age. (My new apartment is not government-subsidized.)

It wouldn't be thrilling if that was in error the whole time and they present me with a bill for thousands of dollars (I've been here 4-1/2 years). {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986