Esteemed Contributor

I haven't gotten the flu, so I don't know. We did both get the shot, though. I'm glad you aren't feeling as bad as you did in 2018.

And I hope you feel better real soon.

Trusted Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

I would never NOT get the flu shot.  Many, many, many years back, I had the Hong Kong flu.  Sickest I have ever been.  Don't want to go through that again...ever.

I had that Hong Kong Flu, also.

My whole family was down with it all at the same time. I was very young, and I remember feeling really, really, ill and achy. 

I wouldn't wish that experience on anyone. 

The last time that I had the flu was in 1991, and I was also sick and miserable and ended up in the ER needing a breathing treatment. 

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I have never had the flu or the flu shot. I can't even remember the last time I had a cold...maybe over 20 years ago?

They need to clone your immune system.You are a very strong person.

Honored Contributor

@dex   I am fortunate that I do not get respiratory illnesses, but you do not want my digestive system.

If the wind blows with a stomach virus, I am front and center.

Super Contributor

@SunSprite wrote:

My employer requires us to get a flu shot; they come on site and provide it at no charge. I received that the first week of November/end of October...somewhere in there. 

Due to an autoimmune disease my physician required me to also get an over 65 flu shot as well as the pneumonia shot. I got those around the holidays.

As of yesterday I was diagnosed with the flu. 

This year's vaccine either was a pretty good match OR my doctor's extra precaution has helped.....whatever it is I don't feel like I'm about to die. The last time I had the flu was in 2018 and I really did just about kick the bucket. 

I'm at home, alone, so not spreading it any further. Pretty hardy body aches, an annoying dry cough, and steady fever. It wouldn't be quite so bad if I could sleep, but I'm not able to do that for longer than an hour and a half or so. 

Mainly I was curious if any of you had the vaccine (or more than one) and if you noticed the flu itself wasn't quite as debilitating as previous rounds? 

Type A was what I was told. 

Mine was a few years ago. I work in a hospital and the flu shot is manditory, but I would have gotten it anyway. I was sick with chills for 2 days and it passed. I am sure it would have been worse without my flu shot.

Super Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

Getting any kind of immunization does NOT prevent you from getting the illness, but a milder case.  So what you are experiencing is a mild case of the flu and your immunization worked.  Hope you feel better soon.

That is not true. Getting vaccinated is to prevent getting an illness. If you are vaccinated against measles, say,  there is still a very small chance you could get them. But you'd be very sick. The flu vaccine is different because each the virus changes and CDC has to decide which strains to cover. 
as a general rule if you get influenza after vaccination, it will be a less serious case. This is NOT true for other vaccines.

Honored Contributor

There are many strains of flu....no flu vaccine will work for all of them. Even though I have had my flu shot, I am still trying to do my best to avoid exposure to it. I have never been a germophobe, but when I see people coughing and sneezing with no attempt to cover their mouths, I can see why it spreads so fast.

Honored Contributor
It also depends on if it is a live vaccine or not.