Valued Contributor

My employer requires us to get a flu shot; they come on site and provide it at no charge. I received that the first week of November/end of October...somewhere in there. 

Due to an autoimmune disease my physician required me to also get an over 65 flu shot as well as the pneumonia shot. I got those around the holidays.

As of yesterday I was diagnosed with the flu. 

This year's vaccine either was a pretty good match OR my doctor's extra precaution has helped.....whatever it is I don't feel like I'm about to die. The last time I had the flu was in 2018 and I really did just about kick the bucket. 

I'm at home, alone, so not spreading it any further. Pretty hardy body aches, an annoying dry cough, and steady fever. It wouldn't be quite so bad if I could sleep, but I'm not able to do that for longer than an hour and a half or so. 

Mainly I was curious if any of you had the vaccine (or more than one) and if you noticed the flu itself wasn't quite as debilitating as previous rounds? 

Type A was what I was told. 

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Honored Contributor

We have had the shot and so far so good. I usually get hit hard, and I shudder to think what it would be like for me without vaccine

One thing I think has also helped me is Vit B12 shots ,and massive doses of Vit D, both prescribed by my Dr

Honored Contributor

@SunSprite 

I get the flu shot (have had the pneumonia shot) every year and I've never had the flu (knock on wood!).

Hope you're feeling much better soon!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom 

There are two pneumonia different shots and both are taken once not yearly like the Flu shot

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@SunSprite 

I get the flu shot (have had the pneumonia shot) every year and I've never had the flu (knock on wood!).

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@SunSpriteSorry you got the flu, but happy you had the shots -  could be the reason you're doing as well as you are.

It's been over a decade since I skipped getting a flu shot.  What convinced me was that the year I didn't bother, I really hit bottom and fainted twice.  Scary when you live alone at best, worse when one of those faints came close to sending me tumbling down a set of steps!

We don't get guarantees, but I'll take all the potential help available.

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

@KingstonsMom 

There are two pneumonia different shots and both are taken once not yearly like the Flu shot

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@SunSprite 

@I am still oxox 

Yes, that's the pneumonia shot I had, that's why I put it in parenthesis after the flu shot comment.

Maybe I should have put it after "every year" to be more clear.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

I think this year's flu shot is a failure. I know people working at a hospital who are forced to take a flu shot every year, and in one department 5 have already been diagnosed with influenza despite having taken the influenza vaccine.  Interestingly, both Strain A and Victoria B strains have been diagnosed through lab testing done there, so it is not only one strain that is hitting them. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SunSprite just hoping you feel better soon! Take care!

Honored Contributor

Yes, that should be commonly known.  If you get the flu after the shot, it will be a much milder and of shorter duration.  That happened to my 6 year old niece this year.  

Respected Contributor

How do you judge if it is milder & shorter duration than it would have been without the shot?

Isn't that like using an anti aging product? Maybe it works. Maybe it doesn't. You can't really compare unless you use it on one side of your face as you age & see if one side looks younger after 10-20-30 years.

I have had the flu that was really awful. I have had flu that is mild & I go on in a day or so.

Schools are closed here because so many teachers & students have the flu.

I wonder how many of them had the flu shot?