Respected Contributor

My feet have gotten bigger with age. I wore size 8 for a long time. Now I wear size 9 in shoes, and size 10 in boots and sneakers.

But my fingers and wrists are much smaller. Even before I lost weight my hands started shrinking. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Feet Shrinking?

[ Edited ]

Even if your weight remains consistent, it is not unusual for our feet to become larger and wider as we age.  Your feet may not be growing, rather muscle tone changes. Ligaments and tendons are like old rubber bands that have lost their snap back reflex.

Honored Contributor

My feet are the same size they have always been.

Respected Contributor

I have my feet measured periodically. They are still the same size as they were when I stopped growing.LOL. No matter what. I think the standards are gone. I find them too tight, too loose, too short etc. My feet haven't changed size. Clarks like to measure every time you try a shoe on in their B&M stores. I had them measure two weeks ago. Same size as usual. Still the shoes don't fit . I just bought and returned it 5 pairs recently to get one that fit.🙃

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

All I know is that as I got older, my feet spread out in length and width.  I went from a 9 1/2 AA to an 11 M today.  This is a blessing because it's much easier to find medium widths, even 11s.  Most people tend to spread a bit.  I'd guess your problem might be quality control at the Aetrex factory.

I'm curious - did you have kids?  What I've always heard is that after women have kids their feet often get larger and/or wider. 

I never had kids so that's why I always figured that mine stayed the same all these decades (I'm over 60).

@chickenbutt.  Yes, I had one.  Don't know if that had anything to do with it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

The skin on your feet gets thinner as you age and there is loss of the fat pads on the soles of your feet, too. When you consider both happening together then that might contribute to a smaller foot. I noticed that I have to place an extra thin insole in most of my shoes just to take up the slack.

I completely agree @SilleeMee !   That is what has happened to my feet over the years!  They are just bonier and skinnier than they were before!   I have gone from 8 1/2 to and 8 at my older age! Woman Wink

Trusted Contributor

My feet can look like boats and look like petite doll's feet.  It all depends on the brand, the width, the length and the style. 

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I've not heard of that, but that means little as I'm no expert.  I've only heard of them getting larger.

I've been a 7.5C ever since I was grown.  But I haven't purchased any new shoes lately.   All my 7.5C shows still fit perfectly.

@chickenbuttI went from a size 9 to a size 10.  And I have always heard that feet get larger which I believed.  But then I thought about it, and came to the conclusion that larger feet in advanced age must have another reason than growing.  So I mentioned it to my podiatrist.  She said that the arch collapses, therefore giving the appearance of feet having grown.

Honored Contributor

@CLEM wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

I've not heard of that, but that means little as I'm no expert.  I've only heard of them getting larger.

I've been a 7.5C ever since I was grown.  But I haven't purchased any new shoes lately.   All my 7.5C shows still fit perfectly.

@chickenbuttI went from a size 9 to a size 10.  And I have always heard that feet get larger which I believed.  But then I thought about it, and came to the conclusion that larger feet in advanced age must have another reason than growing.  So I mentioned it to my podiatrist.  She said that the arch collapses, therefore giving the appearance of feet having grown.

Oh wow, that's very interesting!   Thank You for that view.    Makes sense.  I still have regular arches so I guess that's why mine are the same.   But, ow!  That doesn't sound pleasant.   I hope it's not painful.

Honored Contributor

I think my feet have gotten a little bonier, but same length.  I am convinced the shoes are inconsistent.  I have to send them back all the time., even though I love them.  I wear an 8.5, but lately the 8.5 is way too large or so small.  I go to 9, and some fit, others are a good size large.  I have been wearing Earth and Jambu shoes For 10 uears or more!!  Now one style fits and another style is huge.  I hate it.  Many brands are going for the 8-8.5 or 9-9.5 new sizing.  That is crazy. One is slightly small, the larger is just huge.  People that are. 8.5-9 size are totally pushed out of the shoe!!! This is a sore point with me, as you can tell.