Honored Contributor

Feet Shrinking?

[ Edited ]

I can't figure out if my feet are getting smaller or if shoe sizes are just inconsistent.  I have worn an 8M for many years.  I order most of my shoes because I have very flat feet with bunions and there isn't much choice of good comfort shoes locally.  Lately I've ordered a couple of pairs of Aetrex (last year they were size 8 or equivalent EU sizes).  This year I ordered the same size, and they were too big.  I reordered the smaller size, and they fit.  I ordered some Chacos (never have worn them) because I have heard such good things about them.  I ordered a size 8, and my feet come right out of them.  They felt wide and long.  I didn't reorder them, because I felt like they would still be too wide.  This has happened with other shoes, too, but I don't remember the brands.  I always read reviews before ordering.

I haven't lost any weight.  Are shoes just that inconsistent in sizing, or do your feet shrink as you get older?  I'm so confused.  I'm thinking it's the shoes are inconsistent in sizing, because my old shoes still fit.  I hate to keep returning shoes, but I just can't find them locally.  We don't have a Nordstrom or anywhere that sells the brands I like.  Dillard's is the best for shoes, but they don't have a good selection.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I've not heard of that, but that means little as I'm no expert.  I've only heard of them getting larger.

I've been a 7.5C ever since I was grown.  But I haven't purchased any new shoes lately.   All my 7.5C shows still fit perfectly.

Honored Contributor

I don't think there is much consistency in shoe sizing.  I wear shoes ranging between size 7 - 8 1/2 depending on the brand and style.  

Honored Contributor

Shrinking...?? Well I'll have some of that.Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I don't think there is much consistency in shoe sizing.  I wear shoes ranging between size 7 - 8 1/2 depending on the brand and style.  

@deepwaterdotter  The strange thing is that one of the Aetrex shoes that I ordered is exactly the same style that I bought last year.  The same size was a whole size too big.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I have noticed on my thongs ,my foot from slipping  out of them. I lined the band inside, with moleskin, and that took care of it. I don't know if it was the material ,or what was happening. They fit OK

Honored Contributor

All I know is that as I got older, my feet spread out in length and width.  I went from a 9 1/2 AA to an 11 M today.  This is a blessing because it's much easier to find medium widths, even 11s.  Most people tend to spread a bit.  I'd guess your problem might be quality control at the Aetrex factory.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@NickNack,

I am not aware of feet getting smaller with the aging process; wider and bigger, yes, but not smaller.   However, we are all unique in our own ways, and your feet may indeed be getting smaller.   I too am seeing more and more shoes with European sizing tho, which in my own case, fit me much better. 

My feet have gotten bigger and wider since my knee replacement surgeries.   Prior to my first surgery in 2012, I was wearing a 7 1/2 shoe in medium width; now I’m wearing an 8 wide.   The only shoes that are comfortable on my feet now are Alegria clogs and sandals, and my Brooks and Nike athletic shoes.   I have a pair of Skechers bungee athletic shoes coming, and hope they work for me.   Previous Skechers did not, but they were not wide width.   

Honored Contributor

Re: Feet Shrinking?

[ Edited ]

The skin on your feet gets thinner as you age and there is loss of the fat pads on the soles of your feet, too. When you consider both happening together then that might contribute to a smaller foot. I noticed that I have to place an extra thin insole in most of my shoes just to take up the slack.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

All I know is that as I got older, my feet spread out in length and width.  I went from a 9 1/2 AA to an 11 M today.  This is a blessing because it's much easier to find medium widths, even 11s.  Most people tend to spread a bit.  I'd guess your problem might be quality control at the Aetrex factory.

I'm curious - did you have kids?  What I've always heard is that after women have kids their feet often get larger and/or wider. 

I never had kids so that's why I always figured that mine stayed the same all these decades (I'm over 60).