Honored Contributor

@Newgate@SilleeMee

yes, my feet are shrinking, too.

I wind up with shoes that fit but are anywhere from 1/2 to 1 size smaller.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

I know your shoe size can go down with weight loss and I know as we get older some people will experience an increase in shoe size. 

My older shoes still fit; but I have also noticed that ordering in my usual size is a c*ap shoot now, even with my favorite brands.

Ordering shoes online is almost always a negative experience now; and that includes ordering two of the same just different colors.

I am going back to trying on shoes in various stores; but sizes can be limited there, too.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

i wish some part of me would shrink!!!

Honored Contributor

I always had a hard to fit narrow feet so I was pleased that after my two pregnancies I wore a medium width.

My show size varies by the style of a shoe.  The reviews at Zappos are helpful for me.

Honored Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

i wish some part of me would shrink!!!

As long as I could pick what I wanted to shrink!  Hmmm...my upper arms or my stomach...

Esteemed Contributor

I wore size 7 wide for many years. I recently bought 2 different styles of Clarks closed shoes from QVC - and needed 6-1/2 wide. I had a few pairs of closed leather shoes for years and, all of a sudden, they were too big. I'm 77 yrs old and I read that the pads of the feet shink with age. I just bought 6 pairs (2 different styles) of Rykas from Zappos - size 7 wide - perfect.

Sizing of shoes (even within the same brand) has changed drastically - making shopping on-line difficult.

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt  I think that is true about your feet getting larger after having children.  I used to wear an 8.5, and then after kids a size 9, and then after getting planter fasciitis, I now wear a 9.5.   And in some shoes, even a size 10.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

I can't figure out if my feet are getting smaller or if shoe sizes are just inconsistent.  I have worn an 8M for many years.  I order most of my shoes because I have very flat feet with bunions and there isn't much choice of good comfort shoes locally.  Lately I've ordered a couple of pairs of Aetrex (last year they were size 8 or equivalent EU sizes).  This year I ordered the same size, and they were too big.  I reordered the smaller size, and they fit.  I ordered some Chacos (never have worn them) because I have heard such good things about them.  I ordered a size 8, and my feet come right out of them.  They felt wide and long.  I didn't reorder them, because I felt like they would still be too wide.  This has happened with other shoes, too, but I don't remember the brands.  I always read reviews before ordering.

I haven't lost any weight.  Are shoes just that inconsistent in sizing, or do your feet shrink as you get older?  I'm so confused.  I'm thinking it's the shoes are inconsistent in sizing, because my old shoes still fit.  I hate to keep returning shoes, but I just can't find them locally.  We don't have a Nordstrom or anywhere that sells the brands I like.  Dillard's is the best for shoes, but they don't have a good selection.

@NickNack  I’m experiencing the same thing. Some of my older shoes fit OK and others have gotten loose...have had to add those stick down inner soles. In new shoes, my usual 7 1/2 is slightly lg., but a 7 is too short. I’m thinking feet may be the only place that slims down naturally, losing fat as we age. Ain’t that the pits?

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

The skin on your feet gets thinner as you age and there is loss of the fat pads on the soles of your feet, too. When you consider both happening together then that might contribute to a smaller foot. I noticed that I have to place an extra thin insole in most of my shoes just to take up the slack.

@SilleeMee  Yes, I agree. Also shoes, like clothing are manufactured all over the world and specifications requested by name brands are not always consistent. Sometimes I purchase 2 pr. of the same jeans, same time, same size...fit differently...look at label & they’re manufactured in 2 different countries. I try on each garment now even if both look the same. 

Honored Contributor

No, just the opposite-- mine are expanding.  Woman Surprised

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~