Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest

I had my bird feeder up for several years until this spring when a bear made

his way to it. So then I stopped unfortunately. It made me mad but we also

have a dog that runs around outside.

Around October I started feeding them again when it got cold. Just took a 

chance because I have like half of a 40lb bag of seeds left. So I see a 

cardinal or two every morning. Actually a male and a female come together,

it is so pretty to watch. Get a few bluebirds too but haven't seen any lately.

I double the food up in this cold weather. Squirrels used to come often and have

a picnic feast, but when I look out and see any I give them a few minutes to

finish up and then put the dog out and they take off in a flash.

Valued Contributor

I feed them every day. and yes, squirrels also come and eat part of it. As for rats, I was not aware that they were a problem in any city anymore, esp in winter time. If rats were abundant then the hawks would be grabbing them up.

I've had bunnies, opposum, raccoons, skunk, fox, all of them come at one time or another. Okay by me. they deserve to live as well as the birds.

We also go down to our local park in the winter and feed the birds there because they are so hungry right now. As soon as they see you, they fly right to you. I am hand feeding cardinals, downy woodpeckers, nuthatches, titmice, chickadees and others take the seed from the ground. 

I can't stand to see any creature freeze or starve to death. 

Esteemed Contributor

We have a large feeder out, suet hanging and I put some seed on the ground today for those that need it - whether it be doves, squirrels, blue jays or any other thing that is hungry.

Tomorrow I will add more seed to the ground and throw some peanuts out as well.

For SC it is cold - in the 20's tonight.

Honored Contributor

I have fed the birds for many years.  I feed safflower seed, sunflower seed, nyjer seed and a woodpecker cylinder seed.  I have many different kinds of birds and love watching them.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Feed the birds

[ Edited ]

All the birds flock around me when I come out to fill the feeders. I love that.....lol 

I also have many green parrotts here in NE NJ.  They say they escaped from a cargo boat yrs ago and made their colonies here.

I talk to them and am trying to teach them to talk back....lol  I can just imagine someone else seeing them (the wild ones) and it saying ,Hello ,Mam..........lol

Since I'm old now, and sometimes I  see  myself dying and all "My Birds" grabing my hair or clothing and flying me up to heaven........... <3     Smiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

@Gorgf wrote:

It is so cold only a couple of Chickees and one Bluejay today. The rabbits and squirrels are not around .It is bad and no school tomorrow as well. I live in N. Wisc. It is supposed to be in the low 30s Sat. 

I have several feeders and also throw seed on the deck and ground.  No Finches today either.

We live in S. WI & it's supposed to be in the 40's by Saturday with rain Saturday and Sunday.  

Honored Contributor

@ Montana wrote:

@chickenbutt, I think you might enjoy this book:

A Hummingbird in My House by Arnette Heidcamp

It was fascinating to read about her relationship with this tiny bird.

@ Montana  I loved that book.  I read it a long time ago and don't remember much about it.  I do remember how much I enjoyed it though.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

There is a squirrel-proof feeder! I bought the Brome Squirrel Solutions bird feeder from Duncraft, and there has not been one squirrel who has been able to get to the seed! They tried, but they have no success - most of them have just given up. We feed the deer shelled corn, so the squirrels find plenty of that to eat along with the occassional peanuts I put out for them.

Esteemed Contributor

Our HOA regulations don’t allow birdfeeders or feeding birds because it attracts rats.  However, when there’s snow on the ground I’m always torn because it’s difficult for the birds to find food.  I usually give in and throw seed under the trees for them.  On the other hand, I don’t want rats.  I saw one years ago, so I know they’re around. I think they mainly come out at night when people aren’t around.

Trusted Contributor

@MalteseMomma  I'm sure you bring joy to all your feathered friends.  Maybe one day one of the parrots will surprise you & answer!