Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
I am on my third “squirrelproof” bird feeder....they don’t exist! Started throwing out peanuts for the squirrels since I read squirrels love peanuts...mine don’t...they sniff at them and head straight for the bird feeder....but some jays and small birds seek to like the peanuts...I always feed the bird....but no suet, just seeds. You must provide water if you feed birds....they need it to soften any hard mast in the feed. I have a pair of cardinals that shoes up a few days ago....so nice to brighten up a cold, dreary day.

@lovesrecess  I've had a Squirrel Buster Plus bird feeder for about four years and have never seen a squirrel at it.  I keep sunflower seeds in it.  I think I ordered mine from Amazon.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

We are at -3 this evening and the birds and squirrels have been taken care of since early this morning.  That is DH's undertaking and he loves doing it.  He has one squirrel that is right alongside him when he is filling up the feeders and giving them water.  Forget the water, though it was frozen solid.  DH was half tempted to leave the barn door ajar for the squirrels but we have several raccoons in our woods and afraid they would be the inhabitants.  LOL  We do love God's creatures.

We've never experienced this kind of frigid weather before - not that we can recall.    

Esteemed Contributor

I have been, we have 3 feeders and I have been keeping them full. Everyday, I have to fill them. Poor little birds. I got 2 40 lb bags of birdseed last weekend, because I knew we were gonna have cold temps. I've been feeding the deer too, and they come every evening. I have 2 bucks and 3 does. Dried corn and sliced apples.

My husband got home from work the other day, and he said "your three ladies are out there" Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@ Montana wrote:

@chickenbutt, I think you might enjoy this book:

A Hummingbird in My House by Arnette Heidcamp

It was fascinating to read about her relationship with this tiny bird.

Thank You for that rec! ...

@chickenbutt, I hope you like it. This is one of my “A” books. That’s how much I enjoyed it.

Honored Contributor

Oh dear Lord, I love, love my birdies!  I have about 30 goldfinches that never leave.  Lol.. I have lesser goldfinches and a few goldfinch.  The males are turning now!!!  Its going to be breeding season. I have one Blue Jay Bobby that has been coming for a few years     When  he was a kid he ate out of my hand.  He came to the lilac shrub next to my patio door when it rained, and demanded food.  Yes, I had to come to him, in the rain to feed him peanuts.  He squaked until he got what he wanted.  I was his slave for a year.  Until he betrayed me for lila, a shy female jay.  He is the most brilliant blue jay, with eye brows like lightening bolts. No wonder she fell for him, lol! I live in california, so he is a scrub jay...but I think now they renamed his species Woodhouse.  But I swear he has some coastal jay in him.  He was the first bird I fed, then he brought finches....and well then came the fountains , birdbaths, feeders and such.  Now we have a pond, and they fly to the waterfall and bathe.  I love it.  

anyway,  it wont get cold here, but it scares me to think of nelow zero temps and those birds going without food.  😖😩

Esteemed Contributor

These birds are smart. I use to put birdseed out on the rail of my deck, till we got up the three feeders. Today, it is cold and one of the nuthatches (I think) came to the window by where I sit, which looks out onto the deck and the little bird looked in at me and cocked its head, like "where is my food lady" I put some on the rail for him. Lordy.

Respected Contributor

I live in a warm climate and I feed finches all year. They become quite accustomed to me filling the feeder and have tried to light onto it while I am filling it.

I also throw seed on the ground for quail. They line up at my iron fence and "talk" to me when they want seed.

I made the mistake of getting a quail block one year. The javelinas smashed it to bits in one day.

Respected Contributor

I filled the feeder before the artic blast. I quit feeding them in summer. We have eagles and hawks and they were killing the little birds coming to the feeder.

Honored Contributor

Re: Feed the birds

[ Edited ]

@lovesrecess wrote:
I am on my third “squirrelproof” bird feeder....they don’t exist! Started throwing out peanuts for the squirrels since I read squirrels love peanuts...mine don’t...they sniff at them and head straight for the bird feeder....but some jays and small birds seek to like the peanuts...I always feed the bird....but no suet, just seeds. You must provide water if you feed birds....they need it to soften any hard mast in the feed. I have a pair of cardinals that shoes up a few days ago....so nice to brighten up a cold, dreary day.

@lovesrecess

Maybe your squirrels have a fussy palate and prefer bird seed  so they don't want the peanuts 

My sister threw peanuts to the squirrels and boy did they like them....they would tap on the window wanting more....And yes Blue Jays like peanuts too...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

The birds and squirrels are fed all year at our home.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!