Honored Contributor

I am doing it because of the cold, my neighbor feeds them, i like seeing the cardinals, i guess those little creatures can be a bit particular, brought a mixed seed blend, and some do not like it ,getting some sunflower seeds.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I do, in all weather conditions.

@QueenDanceALot, Sadly, we cannot feed our birdies in the warm weather.

Except the hummers, putting the feeder very high.

We have bears in CT.  Yup, and we live in an outlying suburb, and close to two wildlife sanctuary areas.  And boy these bears are big, scary looking, but are not out to hurt people.  They are looking for birdseed and trash barrels.  And it is amazing to think how strong their sense of smell is.  Our feeders are on a deck with stairs, and they can navigate it in a NY minute.

Come the cold weather, we love putting our feeders and suet out again!

Trusted Contributor

We feed them all year round.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest

In this -20° weather here we have gone through most of our 50# bag of bird food, and our 50# bag of cracked corn for our deer/fox and multiple other critters. They all need food to keep warm.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

I woke up this morning to frigid weather (for NC, my sympathies to you Midwesterners) and the birdies loudly complaining that their feeder was dangerously low. So I got out there in my robe and coat and booties to help their little sweet selves out before I even had coffee. I love watching my birds!

Super Contributor

@Shaunac wrote:

I used to, but rats also like the food and so I'm out. 

And squirrels, darn their sneaky little hides. I spend more time and cash trying to squirrel-proof my bird feeders than I do on clothes, it seems.

Super Contributor

Re: Feed the birds

[ Edited ]

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@1Snickers wrote:

I wonder I’d hot pepper mixed with seeds will help with the rat problem?The local bird store sells it for squirrels.

When I was little we had a Cocker Spaniel. There was an alley near the house and naturally rats.(I had a pet white one).

I remember waking up hearing a commotion outside and my Mother said it was just the Cocker chasing a Rat!

Maybe Cockers, or cats are the answer!

I hang hot pepper suet that the birds love but the squirrels don't.

If I put any other suet out, the squirrels decimate it.

I have tried every type of so-called squirrel-proof feeder and none are. Went to suet feeders and the rascals learned how to knock them down and open them. For the past 2 weeks I have had success in wiring the suet feeders shut, and then wiring them to the shepard’s hook pole, but it makes it far more trouble to refill them.

@QueenDanceALot What is hot pepper suet? Where do you get it? I have used hot pepper sauce and water spray for years to keep the deer from eating my front porch plants. Could I just spray it on my suet feeder? It has not kept the squirrels from digging in my planters....

My vet recommended keeping my indoor/outdoor cat inside full time a couple of years ago due to the coyote problem we have here. He told me to put a bird feeder outside her window, and she loves it.

Sometimes I feel so bad to be combatting the wildlife. They were here first. But squirrels darn near chewed my former cedar home down and had olympics in my attic all night. One even chewed straight through the wall and into my living room, making a nest for her babies. The dog got one of the babies and brought it to me or I might not have noticed the damage behind an armchair.

This is getting long but people usually find this an amusing story: after the dog got one baby, the mom squirrel hid the other three down a 5 ft. deep three inch wide hole in a garden wall. She would run down there a few times a day. My friend is a wildlife rescuer and she thought it was not good for the babies to be down there, so she wanted to get them out and take them home with her to raise and release later. We worked on figuring out how to get the babies out and what she finally did was put a big wad of duct tape on the end of a pool cue and used that to stick to them and pull them up. All survived and were released later. Yet another innovative use for duct tape....

I am sad to hear so many gave up on feeding birds but I might have to do so too. It’s getting too stressful fighting the squirrels and if I saw a rat.... sheesh! 

I don’t mind feeding the squirrels but they are so destructive I just don’t want the here. They have destroyed three feeders, not to mention the issues in the previous home.

Honored Contributor

@PodyPo

I buy a "Hot Pepper" suet at Meijer.  It's a Meijer brand.  I think there are other brands of hot pepper suet.

Have you ever used a Sky Cafe feeder?  I had tried several kinds of "squirrel proof" (hahahahahahaha) feeders and the only one that actually has worked has been the Sky Cafe.

P.S.  Funny story (and ingenious!) about the duct tape rescue.

Honored Contributor

@PamfromCT

I would have to rethink my bird feeding if a bear showed up at my feeders!

Super Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@PodyPo

I buy a "Hot Pepper" suet at Meijer.  It's a Meijer brand.  I think there are other brands of hot pepper suet.

Have you ever used a Sky Cafe feeder?  I had tried several kinds of "squirrel proof" (hahahahahahaha) feeders and the only one that actually has worked has been the Sky Cafe.

P.S.  Funny story (and ingenious!) about the duct tape rescue.

Thanks @QueenDanceALot I will look for the suet. Never tried Sky Cafe, and the other type mentioned earlier, Brome Squirrel Buster and will investigate. But I no longer believe in Santa or squirrel proof bird feeders.