Honored Contributor

@1Snickers wrote:

I wonder I’d hot pepper mixed with seeds will help with the rat problem?The local bird store sells it for squirrels.

When I was little we had a Cocker Spaniel. There was an alley near the house and naturally rats.(I had a pet white one).

I remember waking up hearing a commotion outside and my Mother said it was just the Cocker chasing a Rat!

Maybe Cockers, or cats are the answer!

I hang hot pepper suet that the birds love but the squirrels don't.

If I put any other suet out, the squirrels decimate it.

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
I am on my third “squirrelproof” bird feeder....they don’t exist! Started throwing out peanuts for the squirrels since I read squirrels love peanuts...mine don’t...they sniff at them and head straight for the bird feeder....but some jays and small birds seek to like the peanuts...I always feed the bird....but no suet, just seeds. You must provide water if you feed birds....they need it to soften any hard mast in the feed. I have a pair of cardinals that shoes up a few days ago....so nice to brighten up a cold, dreary day.

I have had a Sky Cafe feeder for a number of years and have only seen one squirrel able to get to the seed in all that time.

They hang out underneath it and share with the groundfeeders.

Honored Contributor

Re: Feed the birds

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt wrote:

I feel them every day unless the area I have set up is covered in a large amount of snow and the deck is so icy I'm afraid of falling.   On those days, I have to say, I feel awful when I see their little faces and hungry tummies.  Smiley Sad

We used to have a lot more winter and the birds, ducks, and geese, left in winter but they don't anymore.

I'm always fascinated when the temp is in the 30s and the little bitty birdies are out there taking baths in one of the water dishes.   Recently, it was still ice water and they were bathing in it.  It's the biggest fun to watch them.  Birdies are just so cute I can hardly stand it.  Smiley Happy   I love them very much.

They know me and sometimes, when I am out there setting up their breakfast, the little bitty ones come flying in right over my head, in front of my face, and right behind me.  Priceless!  Heart

Can you just throw the seed out on deck?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

We put out bird feed and nuts for the squirrels. 

I guess the rabbits are hibernating because I haven’t seen them in a long while.

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt, I think you might enjoy this book:

A Hummingbird in My House by Arnette Heidcamp

It was fascinating to read about her relationship with this tiny bird.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

I feel them every day unless the area I have set up is covered in a large amount of snow and the deck is so icy I'm afraid of falling.   On those days, I have to say, I feel awful when I see their little faces and hungry tummies.  Smiley Sad

We used to have a lot more winter and the birds, ducks, and geese, left in winter but they don't anymore.

I'm always fascinated when the temp is in the 30s and the little bitty birdies are out there taking baths in one of the water dishes.   Recently, it was still ice water and they were bathing in it.  It's the biggest fun to watch them.  Birdies are just so cute I can hardly stand it.  Smiley Happy   I love them very much.

They know me and sometimes, when I am out there setting up their breakfast, the little bitty ones come flying in right over my head, in front of my face, and right behind me.  Priceless!  Heart

Can you just throw the seed out on deck?

That seems like a good idea.  But if there is 6-8" of snow on top of the hot tub (where I have their food & water set up) there will be that or more on the deck too.  If I throw food on that it will just sink.  The seeds are the easiest. 

The bread and seeds that the little bitty birdies like, I always put some underneath this one snow shovel that lays atop the surface because they know it's there and the bigger birdies can't really get under there.

I buy them a really nice organic, whole grain bread with lots of seeds and nuts in it.  Boy, the little bitty birdies like that!  The scrub jays also like it and the polka dot birdies (don't know their names.  They have black irridescent feathers with these white tips so they look like polka dots) sometimes.   I just brunois a couple slices of bread a day and that feeds a whole lot of them.

Speaking of squirrels - I had one squirrel for a bit.    I loved him/her.  I would bring whole peanuts out for that one (also I bring whole peanuts for the scrub jays every day).    He went away, so that was sad.  At least I got to interract with him a bunch and took quite a few pics.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@ Montana wrote:

@chickenbutt, I think you might enjoy this book:

A Hummingbird in My House by Arnette Heidcamp

It was fascinating to read about her relationship with this tiny bird.

Thank You for that rec!  I love hummingbirds so much.    Bought a feeder about 15 years ago that the husband was going to put up.   I can't get on ladders anymore because I fall off.  Gave up on that.  But I really wanted to get some great pics or, if nothing else, just watch them.

One day, before winter, I was standing out on the deck and suddenly noticed this hummingbird about 3 feet in front of me, just hovering in front of a plant.  Man, I wish I had my camera! 

Trusted Contributor

Because bird feed attracts many other unwanted critters (and bears) it is outlawed in my town.    

Trusted Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

Absolutely! I keep my feeders filled everyday, plus a suet feeder in the winter months. I just put some peanuts in the shell out for the blue jays and squirrels. I love watching them all. And having had bird feeders for as long as I can remember, I have never seen rats....and have never heard of that.

@jannabelle1

Just because you have never seen something doesn't mean it doesn't exist. 

Trusted Contributor

@1Snickers wrote:

I wonder I’d hot pepper mixed with seeds will help with the rat problem?The local bird store sells it for squirrels.

When I was little we had a Cocker Spaniel. There was an alley near the house and naturally rats.(I had a pet white one).

I remember waking up hearing a commotion outside and my Mother said it was just the Cocker chasing a Rat!

Maybe Cockers, or cats are the answer!

@1Snickers

I don't understand.  Are you feeding the birds seed and having a rat problem?