Honored Contributor

Yes I feed the birds. Just had a huge flock of blackbirds or starlings or something just invade and emptied the feeder. Hope they move on as I want to put more seed out.

Honored Contributor

I feel them every day unless the area I have set up is covered in a large amount of snow and the deck is so icy I'm afraid of falling.   On those days, I have to say, I feel awful when I see their little faces and hungry tummies.  Smiley Sad

We used to have a lot more winter and the birds, ducks, and geese, left in winter but they don't anymore.

I'm always fascinated when the temp is in the 30s and the little bitty birdies are out there taking baths in one of the water dishes.   Recently, it was still ice water and they were bathing in it.  It's the biggest fun to watch them.  Birdies are just so cute I can hardly stand it.  Smiley Happy   I love them very much.

They know me and sometimes, when I am out there setting up their breakfast, the little bitty ones come flying in right over my head, in front of my face, and right behind me.  Priceless!  Heart

Honored Contributor

Re: Feed the birds

[ Edited ]

I am on my third “squirrelproof” bird feeder....they don’t exist! Started throwing out peanuts for the squirrels since I read squirrels love peanuts...mine don’t...they sniff at them and head straight for the bird feeder....but some jays and small birds seem to like the peanuts...I always feed the birds....but no suet, just seeds. You must provide water if you feed birds....they need it to soften any hard mast in the feed. I have a pair of cardinals that showed up a few days ago....so nice to brighten up a cold, dreary day seeing those wonderful red feathers.

Honored Contributor
If you can check with the bird experts Ibam sure they can recommend something the rats won’t want....also make sure it is off the ground.
Honored Contributor

Feeding birds intensified our rat problem by drawing them right into the backyard.   It was one thing when the rats were in our woodpiles and outbuildings, but quite another when along with bird activity we had 2-6 rats on the ground at the feeder as well.   With help from an exterminator, we have been baiting rats near the house for nearly 4 years.   

Honored Contributor
Some birds are called “flat-footed feeders” because they eat only from the ground. Always good idea to have some seed on the ground for them...or at my house, the squirrels throw seed everywhere when they raid the feeders...the doves just sit there under the feeder and get all they want.
Honored Contributor

I have 2 nyjer feeders out, 1 safflower and 2 sunflower chips, and one suet cake.  Plus, i throw out a handful of millett occasionally.  I also have a makeshift bird bath.  It's a "balmy" 23 here (and dropping) right now, but the sun has been on that side of out house a good bit of the day, so the ice melted in the bird bath.  At one point, there were 6 birds splashing around in the bird bath.  Another 3 or 4 were "waiting in the wings".  I do what I can to keep them fed all year round, but especially in bitter or snowy weather.  Love my birds!

Esteemed Contributor

I wonder I’d hot pepper mixed with seeds will help with the rat problem?The local bird store sells it for squirrels.

When I was little we had a Cocker Spaniel. There was an alley near the house and naturally rats.(I had a pet white one).

I remember waking up hearing a commotion outside and my Mother said it was just the Cocker chasing a Rat!

Maybe Cockers, or cats are the answer!

Honored Contributor

I had to stop too because of squirrel issues inside and out and I hate that.  Smiley Sad  

Esteemed Contributor

Absolutely! I keep my feeders filled everyday, plus a suet feeder in the winter months. I just put some peanuts in the shell out for the blue jays and squirrels. I love watching them all. And having had bird feeders for as long as I can remember, I have never seen rats....and have never heard of that.