Respected Contributor

I remember the Chatty Cathy doll I had. It was okay. But I did like my Barbie, Skipper, and Ken dolls. I, too, wasn't much of a doll person. In fact, I loved playing Cowboys and Indians as a kid. 

Unfortunately, being an Army brat most of my toys rarely made it to my new homes, especially those I no longer played with. 

Respected Contributor

@Sushismom  I loved my dolls, but also played cowboys. I was Dale Evans in my red and white cowgirl outfit and double holster

cap guns.  My red tricyle was my horse.

Respected Contributor

@Enufstuff 

I never played a cowgirl. I was ALWAYS a cowboy or Indian. But when I was quite young (under 5), most of my friends were boys.

Honored Contributor

I still have my dolls from the fifties.  I treasure them especially the Madame Alexander Queen Elizabeth doll from 1953 and others.  I didn't have many dolls but the ones I had kept me happy and I loved playing with them throughout childhood. 

Super Contributor

I loved my Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls that my mother made for me!

Valued Contributor

I had an original Tiny Tears in the 50's..My younger Sister pulled her eyslashes off!..I never let her forget that..One year not that long ago..She bought me a porcelian one.

I won;t let her touch it!

Honored Contributor

My favorite that I can remember was a no name doll which had a soft body and a vinyl head with soft shortish blonde hair and blue eyes.  I called her Bonnie.  My mother, who was a very good seamstress, sewed her entire wardrobe.  Dresses with matching bonnets, panties, night gowns, robes --- you name it!  Then, she purchased a red metal doll trunk and put everything in it and this was my main Christmas gift when I was about 6 years old!  Oh, I loved that doll and everything about it!  The doll I kept until it fell to pieces but I still have the trunk and all the clothing! 

My second favorite doll was Barbie  which I received for Christmas when she first came out!  I thought she was the most glamorous thing I had ever seen!  She had the black and white striped one piece bathing suit on and the small gold hoop earrings and the blonde pony tail!  Every once in awhile I was able to get a new outfit with the matching highheels and accessories.  Of course, for Christmas I got a Barbie house and then a Barbie salon.  Later, I asked for Skipper!  I wanted hair like hers!  I still do!  LOL!  I still have my Barbie doll and Skipper doll.  Although some of the clothing and accessories were destroyed or lost because my sister allowed her daughter to mess them up, which did not make me happy!

I had Chatty Kathy too.  But her voice was not that great and I didn't care all that much for her.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Re: Favorite dolls

[ Edited ]

I was around 7 when my sister was born, and she replaced dolls for me!

Before then:  Raggedy Ann, Tiny Tears, a Madame Alexander "bridesmaid" doll my grandfather gave me when I was the flower girl at my aunt's wedding.  My mother had gotten a dressmaker to replicate the dress worn by the doll, so it was amazing to open the box and see a doll in my outfit.

I had lost that memory, but I saw the doll on Ebay and bought it (in poor condition) just to see it again.  The minute I opened the package, the whole priceless memory came back to me--

My friend and neighbor Patsy had Ginny dolls and I loved them!

Honored Contributor

Re: Favorite dolls

[ Edited ]

Since my sisters are 10-15 years older than me I got my sisters' Barbie dolls when they outgrew them. The dolls purchased just for me were Crissy who had hair you could pull out of her head to change styles and lengths and Josie which was a cowgirl doll who had her own horse. I still have Josie.

@Enufstuff 

@Sushismom 

Since you both mentioned playing either cowgirl or cowboy I thought you might like this. Here's a photo of Josie and her horse. 

image.jpg

Respected Contributor

I used to love Little Kiddles from Mattel, Storybook Kiddles, Cologne Kiddles, Zoolery Kiddles, Barbie dolls, and my Chrissy doll.  

My first doll was a Barbie doll.  When i eventually got a Ken doll, I was not happy with it, because every time I tried to change his outfit, his one weak or defective leg would pop off right out of the socket, and I remember being upset that I would have to pop his leg back into place all the time.

I no longer have any of my dolls.  I remember giving away my Barbie dolls when I turned 12, because I felt "too mature" for them. Of course, I gave them away to a nearby neighbor who was six years younger and like a little sister to me, so the dolls would always be readily available, if needed, for a quick visit.