Frequent Contributor

Fast Food Minimum wage $20 !

On April 1, fast food workers in California will have one of the highest minimum wages in the country at $20 an hour. That's nearly 30 percent higher than the current state minimum wage of $15.50.

I was born in CA and rember when the wage was $3.30 Smiley Surprised

Times have really changed

Honored Contributor

Re: Fast Food Minimum wage $20 !

This only encourages people, especially the young, to stay in dead-end jobs.  They will never attempt to improve their marketability by acquire skills through vocational training or higher education.  

California is doing youth a huge disfavor.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

And have you all read how celebrities are fleeing California because of the high taxes they are paying, and the homeless sleeping on the sidewalks in Los Angeles?

California was once a beautiful state with lovely weather and much to offer, they are having serious problems.

Respected Contributor

Thank goodness they're getting a raise. Housing costs and rentals have skyrocketed in CA. I seriously doubt that anyone making $20/hour in CA could afford a decent apartment or afford a house. I read that homelessness has increased there.

@Kachina624  Sometimes college students, high school students, & retirees also take jobs in the fast food industry besides others who need the income. If the employment helps anyone pay the bills, then I think it's a good thing.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

This only encourages people, especially the young, to stay in dead-end jobs.  They will never attempt to improve their marketability by acquire skills through vocational training or higher education.  

@Kachina624 We've encouraged young people telling them you can do what you love and live like a celebrity, but that just doesn't work out for most of us.

They wind up living a disappointed life, seeing themselves as victims of not having what they are entitled to have, and being angry and disillusioned.  They don't learn to live within their means or to deal with disappointment and go on with life.   It is sad for them.  

Honored Contributor

@Ronettes.  I think all cities have serious homeless and crime problems.  I know Albuquerque  has tents pitched on sidewalks and everywhere else in certain parts of town.  They've tried to take over city parks.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624 We've encouraged young people telling them you can do what you love and live like a celebrity, but that just doesn't work out for most of us.

They wind up living a disappointed life, seeing themselves as victims of not having what they are entitled to have, and being angry and disillusioned.  They don't learn to live within their means or to deal with disappointment and go on with life.   It is sad for them.  

Well, plenty of kids are brought up with aspirations and goals and DO realize both. Positive reinforcement worked in our family. Goals were met and the benefits are monumental. 

Plenty of kids out there are doing the same. Sadly, kids today get a bad rap from a few here...🥺

Super Contributor

Anything close to $20 is absurd for working in a fast food type of job. These jobs will be discontinued as soon as they can be  automated. That is happening already. The price of the food is also rising so much that it will be too expensive to drop in for a quick lunch etc. Businesses will not absorb these high salaries but pass them on to customers. People think wow, $20 per hour is a good salary. Not when the buying power is eaten up by prices of everything.  I believe the best future for any young person, today, is to pursue "blue collar" job training, i.e. plumbing, air conditioning, electrical etc. The average homeowner doesn't have the knowledge to service/replace these types of things. And there will always be a need for these service people. 

Honored Contributor

@aj1980 wrote:

On April 1, fast food workers in California will have one of the highest minimum wages in the country at $20 an hour. That's nearly 30 percent higher than the current state minimum wage of $15.50.

I was born in CA and rember when the wage was $3.30 Smiley Surprised

Times have really changed

People need a livable wage. Years ago I read a book about trying to live on minimum wage. The journalist couldn't. "Nickled and Dimed" was the book's title. Good read...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nobody today, in California or many of the other forty-nine states, could live on $20 an hour without a financial partner. It's a great step for kids and seniors who need some pocket money or extra supplemental income though.