Super Contributor

@Hippiified wrote:

Anything you put out there can be used, hacked, read by your boss, etc. including emails, bank records, medical records, games, texts, apps.  This is what should have been expected.  Personal info should never be posted anywhere.

Facebook will be sending letters to those who were affected by the Cambridge Analytica theft and illegal use of your info.  The number has now been reported to be 87,000,000 instead of 50,000,000!

That is CRAZY !!!   One has to wonder what the repercussions are going to be for this !

Super Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

I am on Facebook, but I refused to list a phone number or hometown (not that people can find it anyway, and I only post non personal posts, National days of the week, never personal pictures, and I refuse any friendship requests of people I do not know, and only give access to my posts to the 2 friends that I have in my life.  And unless someone wants to know which day of the week it is, and recipes, they are going to be quite bored of my posts!

I am right there with you Carebears.   My friends are my family, I have the account to see pictures of my family.  We private message each other.   That is it.  Not into being advertised to people I do not know.   Some don't have a problem with that.  My choice, just like your choice..... to lay low on this site.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Whatever.  I never assumed that my FB musings were secure anyway.  That's why I never bought anything through FB.  I'm just an average middle class, middle aged woman and I have no secrets and I'm  not doing anything that anyone would care about...or that I'm afraid to let anyone know about.  

It's about the things that are listed in your FB, even those you think are private. And people take the few things there (name, town, emails, etc.) and can match it up with info they find elsewhere and use it for things like identity theft etc. 

Everyone who has entered accurate information to FB should be worried, it's your personal information and if compromised, can cause you grief you never expected or want to deal with.

I know a lot of people use fake names, incorrect locations, birthdates etc. to keep personal information from being compromised or taken. Not a bad idea.

Super Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I am not aware I have ANY information on FB that anyone would want to scan for. They don't have my SS# - no credit card # - not even my address or phone #. They have only my name and the town where I live. So no big deal to me. 

I never purchase anything on the computer with a CC - only use paypal.

https://www.thewrap.com/facebook-says-it-scans-messenger-conversations/

Many people communicated through their messenger account and Facebook scanned those conversations.  You can google to find out more.

Esteemed Contributor

Here's an excerpt from an article in the Washington Post dated 4/4/18. 

“But the abuse of Facebook’s search tools -- now disabled -- happened far more broadly and over the course of several years, with few Facebook users likely escaping the scam, company officials acknowledged.

The scam started when malicious hackers harvested email addresses and phone numbers on the so-called “Dark Web,” where criminals post information stolen from data breaches over the years. Then the hackers used automated computer programs to feed the numbers and addresses into Facebook’s “search” box, allowing them to discover the full names of people affiliated with the phone numbers or addresses, along with whatever Facebook profile information they chose to make public, often including their profile photos and hometown.”

"Names, phone numbers, email addresses and other personal information amount to critical starter kits for identity theft and other malicious online activity, experts on Internet crime say. The Facebook hack allowed bad actors to tie raw data to people’s real identities and build fuller profiles of them."

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

Whatever.  I never assumed that my FB musings were secure anyway.  That's why I never bought anything through FB.  I'm just an average middle class, middle aged woman and I have no secrets and I'm  not doing anything that anyone would care about...or that I'm afraid to let anyone know about.  

It's about the things that are listed in your FB, even those you think are private. And people take the few things there (name, town, emails, etc.) and can match it up with info they find elsewhere and use it for things like identity theft etc. 

Everyone who has entered accurate information to FB should be worried, it's your personal information and if compromised, can cause you grief you never expected or want to deal with.

I know a lot of people use fake names, incorrect locations, birthdates etc. to keep personal information from being compromised or taken. Not a bad idea.

That is what I've always done.

I don't use my real name.

I don't even use my real continent.

LOL

Honored Contributor

@Hippiified wrote:

Anything you put out there can be used, hacked, read by your boss, etc. including emails, bank records, medical records, games, texts, apps.  This is what should have been expected.  Personal info should never be posted anywhere.

Facebook will be sending letters to those who were affected by the Cambridge Analytica theft and illegal use of your info.  The number has now been reported to be 87,000,000 instead of 50,000,000!

@Hippiified

Yes your right, everyone should be careful what they post---It's not just advertisers looking to sell you something, or hackers looking to steal your identity, employers and prospective employers are watching, and even the Non-Profit I volunteer for keeps an eye on your social media (if you want to be a volunteer for this non-profit you must sign an agreement allowing them to do this)..............

Two people in our office got fired for what they said about their bosses on social media!!!  And the folks that got fired are the ones that told us about it and warned everyone.......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I am not aware I have ANY information on FB that anyone would want to scan for. They don't have my SS# - no credit card # - not even my address or phone #. They have only my name and the town where I live. So no big deal to me. 

I never purchase anything on the computer with a CC - only use paypal.

@151949 That is 2 pieces of your identity and they can put that together to get other info all they have to do is use that to get public records and before  you know it....they have a profile.  BTW did you put your real date of birth too?

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

I'm not on any social things either. Always thought something like this would come back to bite us in the caboose--and I would be  so infuriated to learn my info had helped with the sad state of the political results---would rather have a root canal with no numbing!!!

@wagirl

This Forum is considered a form of "social media"...............

Honored Contributor

@Spurt My name address and phone # are public knowledge - they are listed in the public phone book. You people are paranoid.