Honored Contributor

@CherryHugs wrote:

What really gets me is have you ever just typed in your name and even maiden name etc in a search engine? You will see your address, age,a map of how to get to your place! Really its not right that any of this is online!

@CherryHugs you can also google your nic here and get some hits from the Q. site about you and even some of your posts sometimes. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Super Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

in case you didn't see (from Business Insider):

Facebook made a bombshell admission about the security of its users´ personal information on Wednesday, in a startling revelation that´s almost certain to worsen the privacy crisis currently hanging over the world´s largest social network. "Most" of Facebook´s 2 billion users may have had their personal data skimmed from the site by "malicious actors," the company said in a blog post by Chief Technology Officer Mike Schroepfer. Facebook said it has disabled the feature in its site´s search function that enabled the data scrapping, but the fact that so much user data may have been vulnerable was another setback...

Zuckerberg is before Congress next week - April 11, i believe.

In addition if you used an Instagram Account attactched to your phone for messanging they "SCANNED'  all of that information.    WOW    I truly felt Zuckerberg's so called

apology was less than.    Do I have an Instagram acoount ?  No.....But I have had many requests from friends to join...... just did not, I am Thankful.

Do I have a Facebook Account ?  Yes.....BUT..... only 9 friends.   My name on the account is under my dogs names  and my personal information such as DOB is made up.   I do not post personal pictures, and I do not post vacations, etc.  I have the

account so I can see what my family is up to .

What do I absolutely hate about FB ?    That I am advertised to my Friends Friends,

that they may know me and do they want to be my friend.   It is why I am under my dogs

names, and my photo is not on their as me.  It is my dog as a puppy.

It would be nice if we could just be friends with the people we choose, not BE ADVERTISED TO THEIR FRIENDS, AND THEIR FRIENDS FRIENDS..... and so on and so on.   It is why I am not a fan of Facebook.

IF WE SHOULD BE  MAD  AT ANYBODY IT SHOULD BE EXPERIAN, AND YAHOO,  AND OF COURSE HOSPITALS, AND YES THE IRS !!!!!!!!!!     THEY HAVE ALL BEEN GUILTY OF PUTTING ALLLLLLLL OF OUR PERSONAL INFORMATION OUT THEIR.     IN THIS DAY AND AGE OUR SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBERS ARE BEING USED AS THOUGH NOT SACRED.     IT IS DISTURBING AND DISGUSTING.   

It will be just a matter of time before I close my Facebook Account..... though.....I do believe our personal information has been compromised long before Facebook

Respected Contributor

@stargazergal wrote:

In addition if you used an Instagram Account attactched to your phone for messanging they "SCANNED'  all of that information.    WOW    I truly felt Zuckerberg's so called

apology was less than.    Do I have an Instagram acoount ?  No.....But I have had many requests from friends to join...... just did not, I am Thankful.

Do I have a Facebook Account ?  Yes.....BUT..... only 9 friends.   My name on the account is under my dogs names  and my personal information such as DOB is made up.   I do not post personal pictures, and I do not post vacations, etc.  I have the

What do I absolutely hate about FB ?    That I am advertised to my Friends Friends,

that they may know me and do they want to be my friend.   It is why I am under my dogs

It would be nice if we could just be friends with the people we choose, not BE ADVERTISED TO THEIR FRIENDS, AND THEIR FRIENDS FRIENDS..... and so on and so on.   It is why I am not a fan of Facebook.

IF WE SHOULD BE  MAD  AT ANYBODY IT SHOULD BE EXPERIAN, AND YAHOO,  AND OF COURSE HOSPITALS, AND YES THE IRS !!!!!!!!!!     THEY HAVE ALL BEEN GUILTY OF PUTTING ALLLLLLLL OF OUR PERSONAL INFORMATION OUT THEIR.     IN THIS DAY AND AGE OUR SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBERS ARE BEING USED AS THOUGH NOT SACRED.     IT IS DISTURBING AND DISGUSTING.   

It will be just a matter of time before I close my Facebook Account..... though.....I do believe our personal information has been compromised long before Facebook

@stargazergal, if that's truly what you hate about Facebook, then it's probably not the site for you.  That's what Facebook IS.  It's a social network.  It was created and exists to make it easier for people to find and connect with other people. 

Honored Contributor

Yes but that's the same as posting on here that you have blonde hair and blue eyes right?

These posts never fail to bring out all those who claim there is no difference between what is posted here and FB.  Woman LOLWoman LOL

And while there are a few posters who do post things here that they shouldn't, those are few and far between and it's not the same as the information FB has on members.

For the records, I do have a FB account so I'm not dissing FB. 

Honored Contributor

I am not aware I have ANY information on FB that anyone would want to scan for. They don't have my SS# - no credit card # - not even my address or phone #. They have only my name and the town where I live. So no big deal to me. 

I never purchase anything on the computer with a CC - only use paypal.

Honored Contributor

@stargazergal wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

in case you didn't see (from Business Insider):

Facebook made a bombshell admission about the security of its users´ personal information on Wednesday, in a startling revelation that´s almost certain to worsen the privacy crisis currently hanging over the world´s largest social network. "Most" of Facebook´s 2 billion users may have had their personal data skimmed from the site by "malicious actors," the company said in a blog post by Chief Technology Officer Mike Schroepfer. Facebook said it has disabled the feature in its site´s search function that enabled the data scrapping, but the fact that so much user data may have been vulnerable was another setback...

Zuckerberg is before Congress next week - April 11, i believe.

You can set your FB settings so only people you have friended see anything you post. It doesn't have to be open to the entire world.Also you will only get posts from people you have friended. This keeps your FB experience much "friendlier".

Some people want their FB page open to everyone and others want their's private - either is possible. Just look in your settings. 

I don't know anyone who doesn't use their name on FB - after all - your name is public knowledge. 

Honored Contributor

I don't have a problem

I belong to so many FB groups (religion, literature, genealogy, crafts, etc.)   where we share interests, research and information.

I'm not about to give it up!

Honored Contributor
To me, the issue was that Facebook has not been forthright regarding how your information has been used. Neither have they monitored third-party apps that have had access to your information to ensure that terms of agreement have not been violated.
I also hate the click-bait ads. Very sleazy.
Having said that, at this point I’m not planning on leaving FB. I know I have info out there. We all do even if you aren’t on FB.
Honored Contributor

Whatever.  I never assumed that my FB musings were secure anyway.  That's why I never bought anything through FB.  I'm just an average middle class, middle aged woman and I have no secrets and I'm  not doing anything that anyone would care about...or that I'm afraid to let anyone know about.  

Super Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I don't have a problem

I belong to so many FB groups (religion, literature, genealogy, crafts, etc.)   where we share interests, research and information.

I'm not about to give it up!

I have joined a few groups as well.   About crafting and recipes.   I just don't put my personal life on Facebook as some choose to.    I am happy with my decision in that respect