Honored Contributor

Re: Facebook Questions for the QVC Hosts

yes it's really odd

I think QVC should hire someone to manage and filter those pages for the hosts, it's obvious they are not, way too much personal stuff.  I think they pages should be there to promote the channel only.

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

yes it's really odd

I think QVC should hire someone to manage and filter those pages for the hosts, it's obvious they are not, way too much personal stuff.  I think they pages should be there to promote the channel only.

If the pages were there to promote the channel only, no one would bother with them. There would be no reason to. QVC puts out plenty of promo through banners and multiple daily emails, plus the Insider. No more promo is needed.

It is possible to make a host's FB page personal and personable without posting their home address or photos of their belly button lint, as well as the occasional promo. Mary DeAngelis' page is a perfect blend, IMO. She does it right.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I don't know that QVC hosts have assistants anymore.  I know some of the same ones assisted a few of the hosts and they were let go during the last round of QVC lay-offs according to MBR.

I have heard a few hosts on air say that they read their pages and they respond to the questions.  One host in particular was getting some nasty comments and wanted people to know she does see the stuff written and sometimes it hurts her feelings.

Instagram is particularly bad for some of the hosts.  One host has some real creepers who follow her and she feeds right into it.  It's 2 guys and they are odd to say the least.  There is also one woman who is just horrible to 2 of the hosts.  She gets blocked and just comes back with a different name.

Sometimes I wonder why QVC subjects them to this stuff.  It's my understanding they are required to post on social media but how much I don't know.  I'd be really careful about sharing my small children on there, that's for sure.

Honored Contributor

LipstickDiva wrote:

"Sometimes I wonder why QVC subjects them to this stuff. It's my understanding they are required to post on social media but how much I don't know. I'd be really careful about sharing my small children on there, that's for sure."

That's the big question. For some of the younger hosts who have grown up in an online world, there isn't much of a "what shouldn't be shared" concept, or a differentiation between what can be shared with close friends & family and what can be shared with "business acquaintances", and that it's not necessarily all the same.

They don't know (or care, nor can they even relate to) what not to share. IMO, older hosts should know better/have a clue.

I'm betting (though of course I can't know) that QVC doesn't force them to post a lot of what they dribble. They need to learn when to catch the dribble and turn the faucet off.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I agree Facebook is what a lot of the newer hosts grew up with.  They likely view it as natural.  It wasn't a learned thing like is with the longer term hosts.  My nephew knew more about computers at 3 than I did.  There was no learning curve.  The longer term hosts are still dipping their toes in the water and are more reserved.