Esteemed Contributor

@croemer wrote:

Need? Well it is a good way to stay in touch with those you know, especially if you do not see them often. It's a great way to be in touch with the world...read up on almost anything. I also love beauty and I learn a lot by reading reviews or receiving discount coupons all coming through on your feed.

I like it for all the reasons you do! Good to see you! 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

I have always said that I don't like Facebook but I have an account.  I'm also pretty savvy when it comes to social media, chatrooms, etc. so I'm not scared of it.  I initially joined five years ago because the Association where we live has an account and that's the only way to get neighborhood information (lost dogs, fund raisers, etc.).  I also intend to use an account at some point to advertise my website when I get it up and running (a sales website).....  but something incredible happened to me one day two weeks ago when I was just fooling around there.

I decided to look up a family that had been close to my family for years but we lost track of each other.  My Mother and Father passed and I didn't know how to contact the two sisters or their Mother (whom I alwasy called my "Auntie").  It had been 40 years in the blink of an eye~!

So I decided to try looking up names.  One of the sisters had apparently divorced and had a new last name.  My Auntie wasn't there (and she'd be in her 90's if she were still alive) and I remembered the last name of one of the sisters and decided to try her and she AND HER MOTHER came up in a picture on the website tied to her name!

I would have recognized them ANYWHERE!  I wrote a message to her and we've been in contact ever since.  I have even FaceTimed with my Auntie who unfortunately has Alzheimer's (but she remembered me and both my parents!!) and I have been friended on the Sister's page.  I've actually been a little overwhelmed with all the memories flooding my head since this has happened.... but I never would have seen my Auntie and told her how much I love her (and her daughters) had it not been on facebook~!!  

So.... I'm still not in love with Facebook, but I can see where it can be a good thing provided you're careful....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I don't post on it much (can you believe it).  I do occasionally.  I have been able to connect with some of my favorite people from my high school.

We get on there and talk about the old days, post pictures, etc.

It can be wonderful.  Just you chose what you want out of it.  DO NOT OK anyone you aren't sure of.

Honored Contributor

Re: Facebook? Do I Need It?

[ Edited ]

Thanks to all of you that discussed this with me.

It looks as though I'm going to have to join because the few sites I returned to today wouldn't take down the white screen so I could see!

So.....when I went to a FB site and it said to sign in or join, I clicked on join.

First and last name came up and they asked for an email address.

Is this the area that so many of you said to create to stay anonymous?

Do I need to create a user name and another email?

Many thanks!

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

It looks as though I'm going to have to join because the few sites I returned to today wouldn't take down the white screen so I could see!

So.....when I went to a FB site and it said to sign in or join, I clicked on join.

Many thanks!

You said you wanted to connect with former students - a fake name would mean nothing to them. As far as an email address, create a special one if you want to, but you don't *have* to have one showing unless you choose to.

You can't have a FB account with the kind of forum IDs we use here, FB doesn't allow that.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

IMO - if you keep your settings private and only "friend" people who actually are your friends and family FB is a wonderful thing. I keep in touch with friends and family from all across the world on FB.

Great advice!! This is what I do....

The people who claim their accounts get "hacked" are those that fall for the "Like and share this post for a free trip to Disney World" ...or share pictures of abused animals or deformed babies that say "Can I get any likes".....don't fall for any of those.....

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Many thanks!

A poster on here said one can get rid of that screen. How ? ....for public boards. thanks

Esteemed Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

Many thanks!

A poster on here said one can get rid of that screen. How ? ....for public boards. thanks

Hit the escape button and the white page goes away.

I cannot take credit for the "fix" but read it on another thread.  Another poster offered an explanation of why it happens, but the important thing is you can get rid of it as long as you have an Esc. button on your computer.

Honored Contributor

I don't do facebook and have survived fine.  My sisters both use it and love it.  Everyone is different.

I prefer face to face or phone contact with the people. I also keep in touch with email and - gasp! - hand written notes in post office mailed cards. If something important has come up that I want to share quickly I can send texts. The people that are most important to me are the ones I stay in touch with. I don't need to know what my classmate from 1980 is doing when I never see her anyway. Facebook would be fun for family living far away from each other, but I just don't see the need for me right now.  As far as certain companies having facebook only promotions, I don't worry about it. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Facebook? Do I Need It?

[ Edited ]

Best of luck with the job app. 

Personally, the drawbacks of Facebook to me are worse than any perks. Mainly the privacy concerns.

I have joined twice and got inundated with messages I didn't have time to deal with--including "friends" requests from professional contacts that (it's not that I don't like them) I suspect just want to know my business.  No thanks!  Call me old fashioned but I use the telephone, the airplane, and the email network to keep in touch with friends.

It's my family who have twentysomethings that are on Facebook, so they can keep up with their adult children without bugging them with phone calls.  That I totally do get.  I love my nieces and nephews but have no wish to follow their adventures on Facebook.  They are pretty good at getting messages to me by other means.  Smiley Happy