Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,027
Registered: ‎05-23-2011

Re: Facebook Concerns

[ Edited ]

@skuggles wrote:

Not a fan of FB, AKA Nosybook. The founder made a bundle "farming" this aspect of human nature. It has a dark side too.


Just like television!

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,069
Registered: ‎05-27-2016

@Just Bling wrote:

This evening I requested my account be deleted.

 

I submitted through the "contact us" page on numerous occasions and all "the system" did was send me what I think is an automated message for letting us know.

 

My issue was the scrolling list of possible "friends" that appear and even you if click "hide" they still come back.  I even went and tried to delete them and they still came back.  It was disturbing because what appeared was "kids with guns", pictures of these people with the gun looking at you point blank.  .....and that's allowed?   Yes, you can hit report button and all that but no response from FB and to me, it's not worth waiting for them to do anything or even a response.   There were similar other people but to me, the lists that were there and never disappeared were at least disturbing.

 

So in summary, when you really need them (FB CS), I really don't believe there's anyone answering let alone care, no one did for me.


@Just Bling can't you attempt to delete it again?  Delete everything in your timeline, all photos and such and then try deactivating the account.  BTW, Facebook never deletes an account.  They simply "de-activate it."

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,069
Registered: ‎05-27-2016

@JaneMarple wrote:

@skuggles wrote:

Not a fan of FB, AKA Nosybook. The founder made a bundle "farming" this aspect of human nature. It has a dark side too.


Just like television!


And now, just like Alexa!  Listening in on what you say during the day.  LOL.

*Call Tyrone*
Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,623
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

@Moonchilde You are correct. Sounds like OP need to read up on security for FB. 

 

@OP- I admin several types of FB groups. I report broken features & all sorts of things. Facebook always responds very quickly. It might be a generic response, but they send something. I would  just block unwanted people. Sounds like you need to read up on Facebook security 

Valued Contributor
Posts: 943
Registered: ‎03-11-2010

From the beginning I thought that facebook was actively engaged in social engineering and with everything going on now concerning that company it sure looks like it.  Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,855
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

One of the reason why you may be seeing various people suggested as friends is that those people may have your email address, such as work colleagues or friends of family members. 

 

Facebook is not intuitive for many people and facebook has engineered it that way. Then add various desktop and mobile and app platforms to the mix and it can be confusing.

 

Definitely check your privacy settings and what you allow others to see. Be judicious as to who is allowed to be a friend on facebook too.

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,889
Registered: ‎03-13-2010

@Moonchilde wrote:

I disagree.  Both times I needed to contact FB I received a response within a few hours.

 

You delete your own account. They're probably ignoring your request because they don't "do for" people, they expect you to do it yourself. I found this in a 30-second google:

 

How to deactivate your account
Click the downward arrow at the top right of any Facebook page.
Select "Settings"
Click "Security" in the left column.
Choose "Deactivate your account", then follow the steps to confirm.

 

As to your other claims - I've belonged to FB for about 8 years at least and I have never seen anything remotely like what you describe. Bear in mind that your "Suggestions" for friends are based on friends of your friends. I would be wondering about that if I were you.


I've never seen anything even remotely like that either.

 

And yes, friend suggestions are based on your current friends.  Facebook is simply suggesting other people you may know or may like to know.  If four of your friends are also friends with someone else, Facebook may suggest that person to you.  If the people who are being suggested have sketchy profile photos, that's on them.  Not Facebook.

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,889
Registered: ‎03-13-2010

@Tx Starlight wrote:

@Moonchilde You are correct. Sounds like OP need to read up on security for FB. 

 

@OP- I admin several types of FB groups. I report broken features & all sorts of things. Facebook always responds very quickly. It might be a generic response, but they send something. I would  just block unwanted people. Sounds like you need to read up on Facebook security 


 

I agree.  Help with all of this is readily available right on Facebook.  But if anyone has trouble with a specific question, Google provides a lot of information too.  It's definitely worth the time to learn the basics re privacy settings, security, etc.  It's really not that complicated.  

Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,027
Registered: ‎05-23-2011

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

I disagree.  Both times I needed to contact FB I received a response within a few hours.

 

You delete your own account. They're probably ignoring your request because they don't "do for" people, they expect you to do it yourself. I found this in a 30-second google:

 

How to deactivate your account
Click the downward arrow at the top right of any Facebook page.
Select "Settings"
Click "Security" in the left column.
Choose "Deactivate your account", then follow the steps to confirm.

 

As to your other claims - I've belonged to FB for about 8 years at least and I have never seen anything remotely like what you describe. Bear in mind that your "Suggestions" for friends are based on friends of your friends. I would be wondering about that if I were you.


I've never seen anything even remotely like that either.

 

And yes, friend suggestions are based on your current friends.  Facebook is simply suggesting other people you may know or may like to know.  If four of your friends are also friends with someone else, Facebook may suggest that person to you.  If the people who are being suggested have sketchy profile photos, that's on them.  Not Facebook.


I don't know why people can't understand this! It's the same argument week after week, after week!

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,889
Registered: ‎03-13-2010

@JaneMarple wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

I disagree.  Both times I needed to contact FB I received a response within a few hours.

 

You delete your own account. They're probably ignoring your request because they don't "do for" people, they expect you to do it yourself. I found this in a 30-second google:

 

How to deactivate your account
Click the downward arrow at the top right of any Facebook page.
Select "Settings"
Click "Security" in the left column.
Choose "Deactivate your account", then follow the steps to confirm.

 

As to your other claims - I've belonged to FB for about 8 years at least and I have never seen anything remotely like what you describe. Bear in mind that your "Suggestions" for friends are based on friends of your friends. I would be wondering about that if I were you.


I've never seen anything even remotely like that either.

 

And yes, friend suggestions are based on your current friends.  Facebook is simply suggesting other people you may know or may like to know.  If four of your friends are also friends with someone else, Facebook may suggest that person to you.  If the people who are being suggested have sketchy profile photos, that's on them.  Not Facebook.


I don't know why people can't understand this! It's the same argument week after week, after week!


It really is!

 

And the suggestions are just suggestions.  Facebook isn't forcing friends on anyone. Friend who you like, and ignore the rest.   No one will know, no one will be offended, and everyone can move on with their lives. :-)