Honored Contributor

Re: Facebook Concerns

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Spurt

i have only seen a very miniscule amount of people do the "post everything i do online." in fact, the few that i have seen tire of it quickly. facebook makes it very easy to ignore these people if you dont wish to see those types of posts.

i find facebook to be a great resource both personally and professionally.

@sunshine45

You are one of the sensible FB users, and I'm glad you enjoy it. Unfortunately, I know too many relatives, friends, and friends of friends that do post everything....in fact I've had to use the HIDE POSTS -- SEE FEWER LIKE THIS----so much so it was a bit overwhelming...........I even blocked a few people......FB isn't very fun for me...(I have reduced it down to 7 people)...  I prefer Twitter get my sports news and articles I want to see without the drama!

And as far as business if you connect with that group you have to walk on egg shells.....a few people in our office were fired for what they said (of course my State is an at will state so you can be fired for any reason, but the folks that were fired said it was their FB posts that did them in).....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Hooty wrote:

I never can figure out all these complaints I read on the forums in regard to Facebook!!!  It is not Facebook I worry about, it is the rude people on the QVC forums, I hardly even read anymore, much less post! 

You can make your Facebook page/account as private or personal as you want, it is up to you who you allow to be friends with,or what pages you want to see!  If you have a problem with someone, unfriend them and/or block them, it is as simple as that!  I love Facebook and enjoy using it!  I don't "air my laundry" to others, LOL!!!Smiley Very Happy

Right!!!

And everybody doesn't post about everything that they are doing, every second of the live long day!

I certainly don't!

I don't post about where I am, what I am doing, or what I am eating at which restaurant.

In fact, I go days, if not weeks between posting on my page.

So no, not everybody is posting about their lives 24/7!

Absolutely true!  I agree with every word. :-)

@NYC Susan

I'm a FB user like you.....but you can't ignore the fact that some people DO those very things you mentioned.....I'm related to one of the FB addicts...

Yes, of  course they do.  @Plaid Pants didn't say that no one does.  I haven't seen anyone say that here. What she said was, "not everybody is posting about their lives 24/7".  And that's true. Some do, but certainly not everyone. I don't do that, and no one on my friends list does either.  The issues that people here complain about are not representative of my experience on Facebook at all.

As has been said here many times before, Facebook is what you make it.  If you choose to friend people who are boring or annoying or whatever, then you're subjecting yourself to their boring, annoying, whatever posts.  If you choose people who post things that are interesting, then Facebook is enjoyable.  It's really as simple as that.  I know there are those who post about every move they make.  For sure they're out there.  But I don't do that, and I don't personally know anyone who does.  

Esteemed Contributor
@Spurt wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I know this isn't what the thread is about but since it's a thread about FB, I'd like to know why anyone is concerned about what others are doing on their FB page?

Why does it matter to anyone else if someone wants to have their page public, private or in between?  Why does it matter to anyone else if someone wants to spend all day on FB and posts pictures of their food?  It might not be what I would do but it's not my concern what someone else is doing.  It's my choice to look or not.

I read so many comments about FB on this board from posters who either don't do FB at all or barely use it and they come across as if they are so much better than those who regularly are on FB.  But then they post here so what is the difference?  At least with FB you know the people.  Here you are posting with a bunch of strangers.  I think more people would find posting on a message board more odd than doing FB. 

@Lipstickdiva

yes, FB has some positives and is nice so you can keep in touch with friends/family anywhere in the world.  The problem is for some it goes beyond being a nice hobby or past time to an unhealthy obsession----no different than those with addiction to tobacco, food, drugs, alochol, sports, compulsive shoppers, hoarders etc etc........  For some it's not healthy and these articles from many sources bear it out.  I'm not talking about the casual user, just those that cut themselves off from actual in person relationships to create a narcissitic addictive pastime.......It's a serious problem for some, and mental health.   And not having the proper security settings can lead to some dangerous situations----people have been stalked,  children have been stalked, even thieves have used FB to determine when people are on vacation to break into homes, people's photos have been stolen and used by catfishers in thir fraud schemes (unbeknowngst to them--ever watch a Dr. Phil catfish episode).....Security settings are important but there are some that are naive and dont take privacy and security seriously.....

https://www.thrillist.com/health/nation/why-facebook-is-bad-for-you

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/tayana-simons/seven-reasons-facebook_b_6709574.html

http://www.inc.com/alice-g-walton/5-ways-quitting-facebook-will-improve-your-mental-health.html

It can become addictive.  Think society’s most common addictive substances are coffee, cigarettes, and alcohol? Think again. The DSM-V (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual) includes a new diagnosis that has stirred controversy: a series of items gauging Internet Addiction. Since then, Facebook addiction has gathered attention from both popular media and empirical journals, leading to the creation of a Facebook addiction scale (Paddock, 2012; see below for items). To explore the seriousness of this addiction, Hofmann and colleagues (2012) randomly texted participants over the course of a week to ask what they most desired at that particular moment. They found that among their participants, social media use was craved even more than tobacco and alcohol.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/sex-murder-and-the-meaning-life/201404/7-ways-facebook-is-bad-y...

http://www.medicaldaily.com/facebook-ruining-your-mental-health-more-ways-one-why-social-network-isn...

Yes, Facebook can be addictive.  So can many things, including anything else on the internet.  Long before Facebook, Twitter, or any of that, people became addicted to internet games and the internet in general.  I have years of experience in the mental health field, and we were aware of this many years ago. As with anything else (in life, not just on the internet), moderation is key. Children need to be closely monitored.  Adults are responsible for their own behavior.

As far as safety, that comes down to being informed and using common sense.  Again, just as in life as well as anywhere on the internet - including here.  There's no doubt in my mind that some posters here are addicted to these forums.  And there have been times when posters here unwisely disclosed personal information.  It's not just Facebook.  It's not just social media.  There is always going to be the potential for addiction to anything. It's completely possible to use the internet wisely, and studies have shown that the majority of people do.

Social media, like everything else, has positives and negatives.  And as with everything else, if we choose to use them, then we should educate ourselves and use them not only in moderation, but also responsibly.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Spurt

i have only seen a very miniscule amount of people do the "post everything i do online." in fact, the few that i have seen tire of it quickly. facebook makes it very easy to ignore these people if you dont wish to see those types of posts.

i find facebook to be a great resource both personally and professionally.

@sunshine45

You are one of the sensible FB users, and I'm glad you enjoy it. Unfortunately, I know too many relatives, friends, and friends of friends that do post everything....in fact I've had to use the HIDE POSTS -- SEE FEWER LIKE THIS----so much so it was a bit overwhelming...........I even blocked a few people......FB isn't very fun for me...(I have reduced it down to 7 people)...  I prefer Twitter get my sports news and articles I want to see without the drama!

And as far as business if you connect with that group you have to walk on egg shells.....a few people in our office were fired for what they said (of course my State is an at will state so you can be fired for any reason, but the folks that were fired said it was their FB posts that did them in).....

But those are the people that YOU know, and people you chose to friend.  That doesn't mean it's typical.  And as several of us here have said, it's not typical of our experience at all.  It's individual people, not FB, who decide what to post and how often.

As for your co-workers who got fired, they were the ones who chose to open up their private lives and connect with business associates.  If you do that, then yes - of course you have to be careful about what you post.  There are also ways to designate posts so only certain people or groups of people can see it.  Whether or not they got fired because of what they posted on FB, it's not FB's fault.  It sounds as though they used poor judgment, and posted something inappropriate in full view of someone in authority in their workplace.  (And that's if the reason for the firing even had anything at all to with FB.)

Honored Contributor

I have a friend who was fired not once but twice from 2 different jobs over what she was saying about her co-workers and the company in general.  You would think she would have learned after the first time but she did it again.  Now there isn't a peep out of her about her job on FB.  I think she finally wised up.  LOL

I have a FB friend that goes in spurts of posting everything he does throughout his day.  It starts with a picture of his breakfast and ends with his bedtime snack.  LOL  I finally blocked his postings because of his daily rants about one thing or the other.  It was very easy to do. 

I can also say that sometimes, the only way to get a problem solved with a company is hit their social media page.  We were having huge issues with a company that wasn't getting resolved.  I posted a review on their FB page and on a Sunday morning, the owner called and someone was at our house to temporarily fix our problem while they ordered what they needed to for the permanent fix. 

Honored Contributor

Someone posted this on my FB page and I think it about says it all

16298874_10153997944917271_5877530326062287983_n.jpg

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt wrote:

Someone posted this on my FB page and I think it about says it all

16298874_10153997944917271_5877530326062287983_n.jpg

Not for me, for sure. If all my FB Friends were "nice" (gag), discussed nothing in depth but posted only in superficialities, never said anything that could remotely be considered negative in any way, made constant "uplifting" posts, never voiced an actual opinion, never used a 4-letter word and posted sparkly, glittery, puppies & kittens lovey third grade motivational GIFs and graphics, I'd be bored kwapless - and I would never have Friended them in the first place (nor would they be my friends in real life), because neither my friends nor I live in la la Barneyland where everyone loves everything and everyone. Save me from Nice People™.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) - Facebook is quickly closing in on the two billion user mark.

The social network had 1.86 billion monthly active users as of the end of 2016, up from 1.79 billion the previous quarter and 1.59 billion a year earlier, according to its fourth quarter earnings report on Wednesday.

In fact, Facebook added more users this quarter compared to a year earlier than any quarter since the company went public in 2012, according to CFO David Wehner.

IMG_0221.JPG

Life without Mexican food is no life at all