Esteemed Contributor

I don't know but the flu and this virus are not the same thing. I had a woman probably 3 weeks ago in Wal Mart, where I was looking in awe at the bare shelves where toilet paper and paper towels should be, throwing a fit to all who would listen, saying how stupid people were and that this was the very same thing as the flu.

I just looked at her and got out of there. 

Honored Contributor

I am speaking of comparing deaths,  i know this is serious, but we lost alot from the flu, i don't know why people do not get the vacine for it ,but i am talking deaths.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

It's a puposeful diversion, given that the two illnesses are not comparable. I would wager those who are still hung up on comparing the two are ones who ascribe to the hype theory and who downplay this crisis.

ITA

No where else in the world are they using the Influenza Comparison.

With all the education we're getting at this time,

it's a conscious, personal decision to continue that storyline.

E.v.e.r.y.o.n.e. understands COVID-19 is not like Influenza. 

Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

I don't know but the flu and this virus are not the same thing. I had a woman probably 3 weeks ago in Wal Mart, where I was looking in awe at the bare shelves where toilet paper and paper towels should be, throwing a fit to all who would listen, saying how stupid people were and that this was the very same thing as the flu.

I just looked at her and got out of there. 

I wish people with her attitude would all wear T-shirts or pins or hats declaring their complete non-concern. So everyone else could avoid touching anything they've been near. You know they don't take precautions.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz I have been news-free since Monday and I am in a much better place mentally. My body is not stressed now, my mind is not confused, and my life is much better.

I do hear bits and pieces here and there when I am waiting for a program to come on, and when I am waiting for the weather report. I get the gist of it when I happen to be on the Internet for other reasons. Or the once-a-week to the grocery store to get fresh fruit and vegetables, along with milk, when I hear people talk about it.

I feel I am as informed as I need to be to ensure I am following precautions.

Other than that, not watching the daily news, and especially not 24/7, has been a good thing for me. We are strong Americans and will weather this like we do all other things. We will come out stronger in the end.

BTW, fellow Lessman follower, aren't you glad we have his products that have helped us keep our immune system strong? Heart

Respected Contributor

I'll tell you why I compare.  According to CDC - 80,000 people died last year of seasonal flu - mostly from pneumonia, heart attack and stroke.  Most were hospitalized.  And I am sure that many who did not die were also hospitalized.

Yet - we did NOT deny care to other very sick people - as in canceling radiation and  chemo treatments for cancer patients, postpone surgeries, etc. etc.

Nor did we run out of beds or have emergency rooms overrun with people demanding to be tested for flu - even if they weren't yet sick.

Currently, we have had less than 1500 people die of this virus. We had 12,000 die of H1N1 before we got concerned about that.   All deaths are tragic - but so is denying care to cancer patients.

Even if you said that the flu season last year was 10 months - which would be very generous, that would be 8,000 people a month dying.  We are nowhere near that and despite all the original hype of "millions will die" (which now both Dr. Fauci and Dr. Birks are walking back - well maybe the projections were worse than what we will actually experience) - we have a very very long way to go to even have the same number of deaths as died from seasonal flu.

Honored Contributor

Re: Explain to me why?

[ Edited ]

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Every autumn I get the flu vaccine and it has apparently been effective.  When I can receive an effective vaccine against the COVID-19 virus, I will feel safe against this deadly scourge. 

I'm not sure I share your confidence. Obviously, if a vaccine is ever developed, I'll get it, assuming it's readily available, but I too get the flu shot yearly and twice seem to have gotten the flu anyway. This is despite being very cautious about where I go, how close to others I get, washing hands and so on, well before the current situation evolved.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Re: Explain to me why?

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I don't really know..guessing that the virus is much more contagious than the flu.

I understand the stress that this virus has caused...especially for those living in the 'hot spots'...my area is very low in cases, actually not one in my county.

I listen to the news --a lot.  I never watched/listened to those that repeat the huge numbers of deaths that might come...if you listened yesterday during the press confence, she (the doctor) nicely scolded the news media for scaring the pubic with numbers that DO NOT match the data.

It all depends upon whose data one trusts. I trust my governor and the mayor of the huge city close to me. And I respect those whose data is not tainted by or connected to economic or political concerns.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

The thought I had concerning this is that they mention the flu because casually the population has acclimated itself to it when in fact thousands of people die from it every year. The flu virus has been thought of as accepted.

They do not want the population to take covid-19 so casually but keep in mind that the flu virus kills each year and we should wake up to the dangers of any virus.

This virus is not the flu and do not accept the number of deaths to be taken not serious.

The deaths from covid-19 will be more.

It is difficult for some to comprehend what they really do not understand, believe or reason with and are fearful of.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer 

This is a transcript with host Brianna Keilar & Dr. Tony Fauci

Aired March 15, 2020 - 09:00   ET

[bolding my own]

KEILAR: So, one week ago, we were reporting 19 deaths, 490 infected.

Today, the count is at least 60 deaths, almost 3,000 infected. And you say, as we heard, that the virus may continue to get worse for another two months. There have been estimates of hundreds of thousands of people in the U.S. who could die or, in the worst-case scenario, millions.

Can you tell the American people that that is possible?

FAUCI: It's possible because, when you do a model, you have a worst- case scenario, the best-case scenario, and the reality is, how you react to that will depend where you're going to be on that curve.

So, obviously, we are clearly going to have more infections. There's going to be more problems with regard to morbidity and mortality. The challenge we have right now is, how do we blunt that?

You know, I have said many times, if you just leave it alone and let the virus to its own devices, it'll go way up, and then it'll come down naturally over a period of several weeks.

Unfortunately, for our colleagues in Italy and in France and certainly in China, that's what happened. Our challenge right now is to do two things, is to prevent the new influx of cases, hence, the travel restrictions, and, for what we're dealing with right now is to know that we're going to get more infections, but blunt it, so that we don't have that sharp peak, that we have more of a smaller hump.

Even with that, we're going to have people getting infected. But we need to try and get there, as opposed to there.

KEILAR: I do think one of the important points of illustrating for people the number of people who could die is that it really makes it clear to them why it's so important to do what they should be doing, so -- to stem the tide of this.

Are you thinking that hundreds of thousands of Americans could die from this?

FAUCI: I say that, and it sometimes gets taken out of context, but we have to be realistic and honest.

Yes, it is possible. Our job, our challenge is to try and make that not happen. But to think, if we go about our daily lives and not worry about everything, that it's not going to happen, it could happen. And it could be worse.

To me, that's a real impetus to take very seriously the kinds of things -- I might make a point that people sometimes think that you're overreacting. I like it when people are thinking, I'm overreacting, because that means we're doing it just right.