Honored Contributor

I have seen post that get upset with some comparing the deaths of the flu this year,to this virus, why is that?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

It's a puposeful diversion, given that the two illnesses are not comparable. I would wager those who are still hung up on comparing the two are ones who ascribe to the hype theory and who downplay this crisis.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Re: Explain to me why?

[ Edited ]

My thinking is that some are so beyond obsessed with this situation that it's all they seem to want to think about or discuss. It weighs on all of our minds, how could it not, but for some, it seems to have overtaken their entire thought processes. While the two illnesses are not alike, there are similarities and it shouldn't be unheard of to mention them in the same breath.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Turn the TV off or at least turn the channel.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

Trying to understand, i have asked about ,this and some get upset.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Every autumn I get the flu vaccine and it has apparently been effective.  When I can receive an effective vaccine against the COVID-19 virus, I will feel safe against this deadly scourge. 

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

It's been used to insist on doing nothing about COVID-19. Certain people in this forum bring it up repeatedly (they started with comparing with a cold and switched to the flu after trying H1N1 and Ebola) and they even tried to get people to call COVID-19 a flu for a while. It's a charged buzzword in this particular context that contains a whole bunch of implications.

Comparing COVID-19 to the flu is basically telling people, "It's not that serious, it's just the flu, you could be struck by lightning and everyone dies anyway so no need to manufacture extra ventilators for hospitals. Ignore it. Stop talking about it, people, and it will go away. People who talk about it are just all haters who are exaggerating and want America to fail...yadda yadda." It's messed up and a giant morass of denial and projection in my opinion. It's not helpful and is usually mentioned as part of a bad faith argument.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

My thinking is that some are so beyond obsessed with this situation that it's all they seem to want to think about or discuss. It's on all of our minds, how could it not be, but for some, it seems to have overtaken their entire though processes. While the two illnesses are not alike, there are similarities and it shouldn't be unheard of to mention them in the same breath.

@stevieb 

SO BEYOND OBSESSED is so true!

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

@goldensrbest 

I don't know. I don't normally turn on the TV until after DH gets home from work. Since this virus has been going on I have been watching the news trying to find out what's going on with all the conflicting info some are telling us. I don't want to listen to it any more. My mind is in a Daze.

When I turn on the TV I'm back to not watching the news like I was before all this started.

All I know is if I watch this I'm stressed out. As far as I know that's not good for your Immune system so don't need that with what's coming.

Honored Contributor

Re: Explain to me why?

[ Edited ]

I don't really know..guessing that the virus is much more contagious than the flu.

I understand the stress that this virus has caused...especially for those living in the 'hot spots'...my area is very low in cases, actually not one in my county.

I listen to the news --a lot.  I never watched/listened to those that repeat the huge numbers of deaths that might come...if you listened yesterday during the press confence, she (the doctor) nicely scolded the news media for scaring the pubic with numbers that DO NOT match the data.