Honored Contributor

Re: Ewww - cabbage patch dolls

Cabbage patch dolls were fairly popular when my nieces were litte (born in 1980 and 1982).  I don't remember the cabbage patch dolls back then being so homely and scarey looking.

Yes I did buy one for each niece.  I'm telling you that the dolls I bought were cute.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bird mama wrote:

Cabbage patch dolls were fairly popular when my nieces were litte (born in 1980 and 1982).  I don't remember the cabbage patch dolls back then being so homely and scarey looking.

Yes I did buy one for each niece.  I'm telling you that the dolls I bought were cute.

That's true, they were and some still are cute, IMO

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

Hi bette, I remember people standing in line for them for hours.  And well before eBay, some people got them and resold them for at least twice the price.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Super Contributor

I always wanted one, but we never had the money to buy one.  My grandma made me a doll that sort of looks like a Cabbage Patch doll, though.  I loved it.

I teach - what's your superpower?
Super Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

There's a major nostalgia movement going on for the 80s and 90s. 

Toys, books, and movies from then are BIG right now.  Star Wars is back and Jurassic Park is back.  I'm not surprised Cabbage Patch dolls are back, my daughter had many of them when she was a kid.

Remember the RL Stine books our kids used to read?  BIG COMEBACK.  I just watched a trailer for the new R.L. Stine movie, Goosebumps, and it looks so cute.

See it here:

http://entertainthis.usatoday.com/2015/07/08/watch-our-inner-90s-kid-is-dying-over-the-new-goosebump...

Remember Gem?  All that is coming back, our kids are already into their own nostalgia Smiley Happy

JEM*  My favorite cartoon when I was a kid.  Smiley Happy

I teach - what's your superpower?
Esteemed Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

Hi bette, I remember people standing in line for them for hours.  And well before eBay, some people got them and resold them for at least twice the price.

I remember that too Noel. Very popular, what with the "adoption papers" and all. Really, IMO, they are so ugly they are cute. You know what I mean?

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

I do know what you mean, bette Smiley Happy

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

Kind of off-topic.  Does anyone remember the Care Bear phenomenon.  What a nightmare!.  My nieces asked for specific bears and I called family in Chicago, New Orleans anyone remotely related to me.  You couldn't get one in time for the holidays.

I remember buying my nieces other toys and making customized certificates from Santa's elves explaining problems with the production line which would cause a delay in shipping the Care Bears.

As soon as more came in after the holiday, the kids got them.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bird mama wrote:

Kind of off-topic.  Does anyone remember the Care Bear phenomenon.  What a nightmare!.  My nieces asked for specific bears and I called family in Chicago, New Orleans anyone remotely related to me.  You couldn't get one in time for the holidays.

I remember buying my nieces other toys and making customized certificates from Santa's elves explaining problems with the production line which would cause a delay in shipping the Care Bears.

As soon as more came in after the holiday, the kids got them.

Yes, yes, Care Bears, and Beanie Babies were crazy popular for awhile too Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I didn't realize Cabbage Patch Dolls were still around.  I actually like them a lot.  Back in the 80's when they were popular and hard to get, I ordered one because I just had to have one.  I later got another one when they were more readily available.  I still have them and  keep them on my spare bed.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown