Honored Contributor

Re: Evaluation of Risks

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Something with this article isn't clicking with me.  

Why are we ignorning nursing homes? Is that to help his theories?  

He lists the biggest super spreading events but then goes on to talk about what can happen in those scenarios and starts off with restaurants.  People were going to restaurants before everything was shut down yet that's not included as a super spreading event so why is that all of a sudden on the top of his list?  

I still think how cautious or afraid of this depends on where you live.  In Ohio, the reported data is not supporting the models. The percentage of the population of those who have tested positive for this in Ohio is .002%.  .05% of those who tested positive have died from it.  

@Lipstickdiva 

The article discusses, in general, risk / exposure in circumstances / situations of general opening up exposure most of us might experience.  It is information for those making decisions regarding going out and What the general population would experience.

Persons living in SNFs (Skilled Nursing Facilities) which is where that infection issue is primarly,  do not attend these type functions due to physical health which limits their doing so.  They are not part of the general population. It is an Important distinction.  I do not see that as an attempt to “help his theories”

I don’t understand Your comment about people going to restaurants before “everything was shut down.”  Can you elucidate?

*** Look up the definition for SNF living and what I’m saying will be clear.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@Trinity11 

Listen to the "experts"? Yes. Follow and do everything they say? No. It has been shown many times over that the some of the "experts", go by the old saying:

"Do what I say, not as I do"

hckynut 🏒

@hckynut I know of no legitimate scientific expert who is "doing their own thing. " Maybe politicians but not reputable scientists.

We see the top two people doing their own thing daily.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@Bhvbum wrote:

Unfortunately the risks you are so willing to take affect us all.  Healthcare workers, EMTs, health costs, more transfer of the virus, etc. is the fallout of your "willing to take a risk."

If you get sick, we all pay for it. And it also jeapordizes businesses being able to open safely.  

I refuse to live in a bubble, and be terrified of my own shadow, just because you're too scared to leave your home.

Because that's not living, and it certainly isn't thriving, it is nearly existing, and that's no way to go through life.

@Anonymous032819 

I don’t know anyone who is doing what you say, or even considering it, certainly you are not expected to do so.

Not in a bubble, terrified, scared, I am thriving, and more than merely  existing.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@pitdakota 

I have been following, as best as the released information allows, on the ‘nursing home’ numbers. What I have found is a preponderance of Skilled Nursing Facilities.

What have you seen?

Respected Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@germanshepherdlove wrote:

While I love the spirited people on this debate, I have to agree with @Trinity11 and @pitdakota .  I have a question though about herd immunity. Is it possible that the spirited folks will end up saving humanity.  Isn't that what many scientists say that it's only through herd immunity will covid 19 burn out because it won't be able to find a host.   

@germanshepherdlove @Trinity11  @pitdakota 

Epidemiologists use a factor known as - R-0, or R - naught.  You might want to read about it, it is how they measure infection rates.

In order to reach heard immunity we would have to reach a situation where over  >70% of the population had true antibodies.  Imagine the death rate, and we’re moving way past the death of ‘just old expendable folks’ to get there.

I love facts.

@Drythe, absolutely.  With the R-naught rate for this coronavirus, herd immunity would probably need to be higher than 70% and I would sure hate to see the deaths that would occur as a result of 80% of the population becoming infected.  Especially since that herd immunity would count include a number of kids.  And this pediatric multi-system inflammatory syndrome that is occurring in children is concerning at this point for me to just develop a cavalier attitude of adopting herd immunity as the best route.

It was announced yesterday that we have a 10 year old intubated on a ventilator in critical condition with PMSIS and a 16 year old admitted also admitted with this syndrome.

Our stats today included more than 12 new cases in children under 8 years of age throughout the state.  While they tend to be more resilient, it is worrisome which ones might develop this syndrome.  

I am also a little leary of the information that is coming out now about recovery.  Obviously, we knew it would take a while to start compiling this information, but it appears there are many left with residual problems after hospital discharge.  Still need to get these people out a little farther from their disease experience to see if the cardiac, renal, neruo, and respiratory problems do finally resolve.  Certainly something to watch.  

It is one thing to think about herd immunity if you think that young healthy people that hospitalized with this disease get back to normal.  A whole different situation if those previously healthy individuals are left with debilitating heart, respiratory, neurological,  or renal problems that would go along with a horrible number of deaths.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
QVC Customer Care
Respected Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@pitdakota 

I have been following, as best as the released information allows, on the ‘nursing home’ numbers. What I have found is a preponderance of Skilled Nursing Facilities.

What have you seen?

_______________________________________________-

@Drythe, here in our state they have undertaken mandatory testing of all residents in skilled nursing facilities across the state.  There have been a couple of skilled nursing facilities that have had outbreaks here, with the majority occurring from exposure due to employees.

We had a major outbreak in one large skilled nursing facility that also had independent living quarters on the same grounds.  It makes me sick to even think about it, but it originally started with a nursing assistant that kept reporting to work sick and even thinking she had "the virus".  She did get sick at work and was tested and obviously told to isolate.  She was later detained after making trips to the grocery store and doing all kinds of shopping.  Her mother is actually the one that called the public health department to let them know she was going out.  Thank goodness they took her to court and judge had an ankle monitor on her to make sure she stayed inside her home.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@suzyQ3 , my son was planning his wedding for September 2020...190 people and he cancelled it for next year. This article re-inforces that he made the right decision. 

I will send him this article. Hope your daughter and family are recovering...

That's too bad...I feel sad for everyone that had weddings coming up and have to cancel.  But even going into 2021...is it going to be ok then?  I mean....large amount of people in a hall eating food...dancing to music...all that happy fun stuff.  

I hope your son can have it in 2021 just as they originally planned.

Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@suzyQ3  It mentions “original thought of my post.”  Are any of these words yours?

eta... and source?

Only the subject line is mine, @esmerelda. The article and creds are not. I prefer italics to quotes. But I wish I were as smart as this expert.

As for source, I first read it when someone on another forum posted it from twitter. But just googling his name brings up linkable sources. So I did that for you:

https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

The example of the nursing home employee who knew she had the virus, yet continued to show up for work at the nursing home and continued on with her shopping expeditions is just an example of what I fear will keep on happening no matter how many tests are given, even on a daily basis. 

There are a good number of people who have a somewwhat cavaliar attitude.  They want their life to continue as it was.  Let those who are vulnerable or afraid stay home.  Yes, why try to realize things are not the same and changes do have to be made for the greater good?  Oh, that's right.  No one counts but them.

I, unfortunately, don't have much confidence in the majority of people finding out they tested positive and then retreating to their homes for a 2-week quarantine.

I can still enjoy my life, not hide in my house and "thrive" without going to an inside sit down restaurant or salon for now.