Honored Contributor

Actually, after thinking about it, I've always been somewhat careful re: germs in general.  Especially during various flu  and cold seasons.

I normally unscented baby-wipe various food packages, leaving them on my porch for a day or two.  

It's been a habit, I guess.  Why?  I really don't know.

After all, I don't use a disinfectant, just baby wipes. 

Maybe a way to wipe away and air out various customer and employee non-dangerous germs that have been left on products. 

Even re: shopping carts and check out surfaces. And we really don't know where various recycled bags have been stored/sitting.  

As far as cans, I always rinse off the top before opening.

Strange?  Maybe so.

Well, each of us has our own reasons/habits re: food and clothing. 

Again, all we can do is to continue to be courteous and careful toward other people's safety.  

Wishing us all well and safe.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

Re: Evaluation of Risks

[ Edited ]

@spiderw @suzyQ3  I don't recall saying to not wear a mask or take precautions. If you determine a situation to be too risky for you, YOU do what you need to do to protect you. I don't care if "they" say you don't need to wear a mask, MY family is wearing them. I don't care if "they" say everything is open and go have fun, MY family is not doing that because the math/risk says otherwise. 

I also don't see how this is any different from any other risk/situation where your actions could have a negative affect on someone else. You can NOT rely on others to watch out for you. It would be nice but I'm not going to risk myself or my loved ones on a maybe.  Yes, we're all in this together but the reality is some simply don't care so YOU have to do what is necessary for YOU.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

FiddleDeeDee

I am glad you and your family wear masks and are doing what you need to do to keep safe, that is fine. 

I live alone and others are checking in on me.  I am not relying on them , they want to do it and care about me so they make sure I am well and if I need anything, they will help as they have offered.  However, I make my own decisions, they do not tell me what to do as they know I will do what is right.  I would do the same for them, friends and family.

It sounds like you are doing what you need to do, stay safe and have a good day. 

Valued Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@suzyQ3 

Reading this, up to a point. 

Indoor Sports: Then they(he, whoever) talks about the Canadian Sport Curling?  Much different than the Canadian Sport Ice Hockey.  Curling compared to ice hockey? Like comparing a chess game to a tennis game. They have what in common? Nothing!

Knowing all this stuff accomplishes what? People that were germaphobes before the wuhan virus are now looking for what, a personal bubble?

Then there are people like me. I understand risks, life has and always will be full of them. While I realize this virus is very bad, why would I willingly change my whole life around this 1 risk? I wouldn't!

Reading things like this are going to promote more fear/anxiety, whatever word one prefers, to those already scared almost to death. For people like me it only reinforces my belief that each adult person that has the ability to read and react, does not need anyone to take them by the hand and guide them their world in what is safe.

Places open that interest me? Yep! Risks involved? Maybe! Believe and follow everything I read and hear, including "experts"? Not happening.

hckynut(john)

@hckynut 

I'd give a thousand Hearts if I could, John!Smiley Very Happy

Me too!!!! 💕 

Super Contributor

@suzyQ3 Thank you so much for posting this very informative article. It has helped my husband and I make decisions about how we will navigate this summer.  I expect that next fall will bring about another surge. We have decided to keep "attending" church at home and to only do carry out at restaurants. We are reconsidering my husband's ice hockey as I do have an autoimmune disease.  We will have to see about out youngest son's soccer season in the fall. At lleast it is outside.

Trusted Contributor

It was, but never in our history has our economy along with the rest of the world ever been shut down like this .  All supply chains took a hit world wide. So yes we had one of the best economies ever, and in retrospect it was a good thing we did. If our economy had been junk, we would have completely collapsed by now with no hope of recovery. You wouldnt have a grocery store open, you wouldn't have anything open at all. It would be a global depression.   Period.  And the whole how much is a human life worth question. Every human life is precious.  Right now you have parents that are literally down to there last glass of milk and slice of bread for their kids.  I believe they will take that risk of going back to work to feed and care for their children.    I know a woman who is down to $6  Think about that $6.  She has not received her stimulus, or her unemployment.   All this time she has had no money coming in.   These people will be eating spoiled food or whatever they can find or steal soon to feed their families.   And you will be dealing with a whole lot of other sicknesses on top of the virus.   People going back to work will be the reason for all those who still chose to stay home because they are still afraid can do so.   Just what services are you going to pick not to open?  Because alot of those supply chains are interconnected.  It's a giant grid.  And the lines cross each other many times.  People die every day from a million other things than just this virus.   Sometimes it's painful, unexpected and yes it's always sad.  But it happened before this virus and it will happen after. People working are NOT killing people.  You have your supplies because people are working.  Most people are asymtomatic.  It's not an automatic death sentence.   Life goes on.  It always has.  History proves that.    It's each individuals choice what they want to do.  There is no right or wrong.  Look at the QVC workers.  People are still ordering items.  Yes they've had some rough patches with deliveries and customer service, but they are still doing their jobs.   And I'm pretty sure they value their lives.  And the fact there are still people who CAN buy things tells you we DID in fact have a pretty incredible enonomy before this happened.   If there had been a junk economy prior to this, there would have been even less disposable income to buy even the basics   But  you had a world wide collapse of the supply chains.   After everything, we are in fact still functioning. and we can begin the slow climb back up.  It's a virus.  There have been viruses throughout time.  And there will continue to be viruses and other contagions.  Again those that don't feel safe can watch from the windows.  Those that feel comfortable moving forward will do so.   Not only do we need to get back on our feet but the world needs America back on its feet.  We are a HUGE part of the global economy.  

Esteemed Contributor

@eadu4 wrote:

It was, but never in our history has our economy along with the rest of the world ever been shut down like this .  All supply chains took a hit world wide. So yes we had one of the best economies ever, and in retrospect it was a good thing we did. If our economy had been junk, we would have completely collapsed by now with no hope of recovery. You wouldnt have a grocery store open, you wouldn't have anything open at all. It would be a global depression.   Period.  And the whole how much is a human life worth question. Every human life is precious.  Right now you have parents that are literally down to there last glass of milk and slice of bread for their kids.  I believe they will take that risk of going back to work to feed and care for their children.    I know a woman who is down to $6  Think about that $6.  She has not received her stimulus, or her unemployment.   All this time she has had no money coming in.   These people will be eating spoiled food or whatever they can find or steal soon to feed their families.   And you will be dealing with a whole lot of other sicknesses on top of the virus.   People going back to work will be the reason for all those who still chose to stay home because they are still afraid can do so.   Just what services are you going to pick not to open?  Because alot of those supply chains are interconnected.  It's a giant grid.  And the lines cross each other many times.  People die every day from a million other things than just this virus.   Sometimes it's painful, unexpected and yes it's always sad.  But it happened before this virus and it will happen after. People working are NOT killing people.  You have your supplies because people are working.  Most people are asymtomatic.  It's not an automatic death sentence.   Life goes on.  It always has.  History proves that.    It's each individuals choice what they want to do.  There is no right or wrong.  Look at the QVC workers.  People are still ordering items.  Yes they've had some rough patches with deliveries and customer service, but they are still doing their jobs.   And I'm pretty sure they value their lives.  And the fact there are still people who CAN buy things tells you we DID in fact have a pretty incredible enonomy before this happened.   If there had been a junk economy prior to this, there would have been even less disposable income to buy even the basics   But  you had a world wide collapse of the supply chains.   After everything, we are in fact still functioning. and we can begin the slow climb back up.  It's a virus.  There have been viruses throughout time.  And there will continue to be viruses and other contagions.  Again those that don't feel safe can watch from the windows.  Those that feel comfortable moving forward will do so.   Not only do we need to get back on our feet but the world needs America back on its feet.  We are a HUGE part of the global economy.  

@eadu4 

I agree with everything  that you said.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@eadu4 wrote:

@eadu4, at least there is one thing I agree with, and that is that many people are asymptomatic. I do hope that you undertstand that they are carriers, though.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

Yes they are carriers...essentially everyone that does not get a test every day is a potential carrier.  And no one knows.  That being said, it's pretty obvious that you would have death tolls in the millions upon millions already in the US alone if it was that virulent of a virus.  Yes it's deadly,  yes it's a painful death and yes alot of people have died,  but as I have stated sadly people died before this virus and they will die after.  There are a million painful ways to die each day. There is bacteria and viruses all around us and have been throughout history.  Everyone is different in their fear.  If you are terrified that's fine. Everyone has fears.  You can't force your level of fear on someone else just as they cannot force their level of calm on you.  Neither is going to budge.  But what you assume is a "cavalier attitude" may just be the way they are handling and processing their fear so they can do what they have to do.  They tell themselves it's going to be ok and then they move on.   They compartmentalize their fear.  Being homeless and starving with their children scares them more.  Just because you fear the virus more doesn't make you a better person, just means your fear is different.  People are beginning to realize that they have to adapt since life will go on.  For some who have nothing left the risk is not as great as the pain of their hungry children.  Depending on where you land on the spectrum ruler of fear determines your level of functionality at this point.  Look it's going to spread.  Period.  Just like other viruses certain physical issues will put certain groups at a higher risk, others on the low end and some they may find after sorting through this have an immunity of some sort. 

Honored Contributor

@eadu4 ...I appreciate your posts, could you please add paragraphs in your posts, it woud make for much easier reading, thanks!