Valued Contributor

Re: Equifax Hacked, Over 143M Accounts Exposed

If I am affected, I will do everything in my power to find out if there is a class action lawsuit against Equifax.

Honored Contributor

I saw this on the NBC Nightly News.  I have tried several times since 7:00 to see if I was affected, and it doesn't tell me.  I read that if you don't get an answer to keep trying.  I really don't understand why they waited so long to let people know about this.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I was given a date of 9/12/17 to enroll.  The site said there will be no remindersSmiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@grammarqueen wrote:

If I am affected, I will do everything in my power to find out if there is a class action lawsuit against Equifax.

@grammarqueen  Second!  This one year free monitor is BS and they know it.  The thieves just wait the year out and then we're left on our own for the rest of our financial lives.  

Honored Contributor

To me the company's "apology" and "offer" is like a restaurant saying "Sorry but the fish you just ate was bad.  Would you like a second helping?"

Don't worry, every hacker in the world already has your info anyway.

Trusted Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

As usual, those with the knowledge and money will do whatever they can to keep their money. And people wonder why more and more of society wants to see the high and mighty fall...

I entered my info and was told my info was compromised. Ah well. My info has been hacked due to BCBS, the government and so many other places that supposedly was keeping it safe...what's one more place?

@Sahmlam, so what do you do to keep your finances safe?.... if you don't mind my asking.

@Sahmlam, did your message say specifically that you had been hacked or did it give you an enrollment date? I got an enrollment date. 

Regular Contributor

NOW I understand why people don't have bank accounts.  

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@grammarqueen wrote:

@grammarqueen  Second!  This one year free monitor is BS and they know it.  The thieves just wait the year out and then we're left on our own for the rest of our financial lives.  

Exactly @Laura14.  This is what happened to me when my Amex card was hacked.  They notified me that someone tried to charge a soft drink in CA and I live in IL.  They pounced on the next transaction and immediately sent me a new card.  It was almost a year to the day from the Home Depot hack.  Shame on Equifax and their horrible executive team that dumped stock knowing this scandal was coming.  I hope they pay for it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This won't provide comfort to anyone, but beyond the valid concerns already expressed in this thread I'll add a few more.     

The link to check to see if our account was impacted is operated by a 3rd-party site.  

It tells us little or nothing and it simply tries to direct us to enroll with TrustedID -- a company owned by Equifax, the very business that permitted the problem to happen and did not inform the public immediately.   

The TrustedID Premier terms of use appear to contain an agreement to waive rights to participate in a class action suit against Equifax.   So, if you choose to enroll please review the terms of use very carefully first.

If all this isn't sketchy enough, the 3rd-party "special website" Equifax wants us to use to see if our personal info has been impacted has a certificate that appears not to be completely secure.    

This hack is a significant problem -- approximately 44 percent of the population in the U.S. has been affected.   And it appears to have been, and is being, managed poorly to say the least.    This is alarming.  

Please.   Be very, very careful before following the path Equifax is asking us to use.   (eta: @momtochloe)

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

@tansy wrote:

I was given a date of 9/12/17 to enroll.  The site said there will be no remindersSmiley Sad

That's what I got as well. 

I'm not going to sign up for their free year. All the hackers need to do is wait for a year and then have at it.  I already have credit monitoring/fraud alerts/identity theft protection through one of my AMEX cards. My Discover card will alert me if my SSN shows up somewhere it doesn't belong. If I get the written notice than I've been affected, I'll freeze my credit reports. The ONLY credit I might possibly apply for in the next 5 years is a car loan and if I want to do that, I'll have the freeze temporarily lifted. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~