Honored Contributor

Re: Equifax Hacked, Over 143M Accounts Exposed

@Lynnster67 wrote:

The consumer reporter for NBC Washington recommended getting the 90-day fraud alert to tide you over until the credit freeze goes into effect. 

Equifax HAS waived the credit freeze fee for the next 30 days.  Experian and TransUnion have NOT followed suit yet.

However, credit freezes are FREE if you have been the victom of ID theft (you need to send them a copy of your police report).  In PA, the fee is waived for ppl over age 65.

I'm enrolled in CreditKarma, Credit Sesame, and Quizzle.  All 3 sent emails shortly after Equifax announced its data breach and my credit reports look clean.  Discover and BoA include FICO scores on monthly credit card stmts.

I also recommend submitting IRS Form 14039, "Identity Theft Affadavit".  Early next year, the IRS will send you a letter w/6-digit PIN code that you will need to enter on your tax return.

@Lynnster67 What's the IRS form 14039 "Identity Theft Affadavit" for?

I did not know they would be mailing a 6 digit pin code to use when you file your return. I will have to make sure we receive that. Thx for the info.

Valued Contributor

Re: Equifax Hacked, Over 143M Accounts Exposed

The form is for victims of identity theft, so scammers can't fill out a tax return for you and steal your refund.

Visit IRS dot gov, select "search forms & instructions", and enter "Form 14039" to download a pdf copy, which you can populate w/your info.  I completed one for my parents.  In the field where the form asks for reason you're completing this form, I checked box 2 and typed "Equifax data breach announced Sept 7, 2017."  Normally you would attach the police report you filed for the ID theft, but under the circumstances that stmt should be sufficient.