Honored Contributor

Re: Equifax Hacked, Over 143M Accounts Exposed

I just heard this too but to find out if you were hacked you need to enter the LAST 6 digits of your SS!

considering that so many have already been hacked on a monitoring system that is supposed to protect us, I just can't trust entering any more info!

I did read that Equifax will also notify those by mail who have been compromised.

Is the phone number an automated call? If so, I don't even want to do that!

I'll wait for the letter if there will be one.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

No, mtc, nothing is safe in this day and age.  

And I don't think I'd trust the website to tell you what you need to know, either.

Sorry, I know.  I'm Bummer Kitty.

Respected Contributor

Oh, man.  Listen to this, from the NBC Nightly News FB Page.

Post by Lester Holt: JUST IN: SEC filings: 3 top Equifax executives sold shares in Equifax days after cyber breach was discovered by the company.

Honored Contributor

Oh and just in case we aren't all angry enough of yet another security breach there is information bouncing around Twitter right now that executives from Equifax dumped tons of stock right after the breach was detected but hadn't disclosed to the public . . . GAH!

Honored Contributor

Isnt Equifax a clearing house for all checks written to merchants? 

The figures they mention are quite a bit different from the number in the OP's headline. 

It clearly told me I wasn't affected. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

As a good friend of mine would say,

"It's a shi!!y mess"

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I searched that phone number and it is from Equifax- "a dedicated call center."

And Equifax has hired a "cyber-security firm" in collaboration with the FBI to investigate this.

At this point I don't trust anything and am not about to give any more info to any "firm" that has already been hacked to find if I have been hacked!

Even if I did use either the site or phone number and find I haven't been hacked, I wouldn't trust that to later find out -Oh those that used the site or phone number have now been hacked!-Jeez!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

Oh, man.  Listen to this, from the NBC Nightly News FB Page.

Post by Lester Holt: JUST IN: SEC filings: 3 top Equifax executives sold shares in Equifax days after cyber breach was discovered by the company.

@SaRina  Isn't that "insider" trading and illegal? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

As usual, those with the knowledge and money will do whatever they can to keep their money. And people wonder why more and more of society wants to see the high and mighty fall...

I entered my info and was told my info was compromised. Ah well. My info has been hacked due to BCBS, the government and so many other places that supposedly was keeping it safe...what's one more place?

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624, it would seem there is something extremely illegal about it -- whether it's considered specifically "insider trading", I don't know. I'm not that knowledgeable about the securities industry.