Honored Contributor

Re: Elizabeth Smart

[ Edited ]

View image on Twitter

WOW.....what a hard pill to swallow this would be.  I can't even imagine.

Honored Contributor

I thought she received 2 sentences-one Federal, one State, both 15 years.

She served the state sentence and was set to serve the Federal sentence.  She was not supposed to have the state time served reducing her Federal sentence but for some reason that was overturned.

So the Federal was reduced by the time served in State and now she'll be out.

If this was already posted my apologies.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Elisabeth also mentioned her capture had missed hearings and didnt even show up at her parole hearing.  Some things are so unjust.  Hopefully outrage and protests will over ride this erroneous and poor decision

Esteemed Contributor

I can fully understand Elizabeth Smart's reaction to the news that the woman who helped kidnap and hold her prisoner is being released from prison.  I have no doubt one of her concern's is the possibility of that sick woman trying to find her.  If it were me I wouldn't sleep at night and I wish Elizabeth and her family the best under the circumstances.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

@Scooby Doo wrote:

My personal opinion is that Wanda doesn't even want to be released.  She has no where to go, her family won't take her in, she can't support herself.  In prison she was taken care of and felt safe.  She knows that life is going to be very difficult for her and that people hate her.  Her every move is going to be monitored.  Statistics show that one in every five parolees end up back in prison.  I think she will be one of those.  She will be watched so closely that if she sneezes wrong they will get her for violation of release.

The Smart family is powerful in the community and will make enough noise that they won't be ignored.

BTW, Elizabeth is pregnant with her third child.

Unfortunately, for Elizabeth and her family, all the power and money didn't keep Elizabeth safe then and can someone really be watched 24/7? Whether we are talking about Wanda, or keeping Elizabeth and her family safe?

I feel no sympathy for Wanda.

The Smart family regardless of their 'power' have no bearing on the conditions of Barzee's release.  I don't understand the implication that hints otherwise.

Esteemed Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

Just as a civilized society has a responsibility to lock up people like this depraved woman, we have a responsibility to see that, upon release, she has a stable living situation and income so that she won't seek another depraved person to identify with, subjugate herself to, or prey on vulnerable others.  I hope she is supervised and finds herself worthy of self-help and a peaceful life.

The thing I most admired about Elizabeth Smart was her self-possessed strength to know "I have no time to think about those people".  I'd like to adopt that and leave the job to the authorities.

Working across from a homeless shelter which is also a "drop off point" for those leaving prision, I can tell you society does not care.  Every week we get more notices of se**ual preditiors using the shelters address as their residence.  It is likely that they have moved on to other areas but who knows.  Society would rather ignore them in hopes they go away.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Super Contributor

'and she is also required to take prescribed mental health medications, according to court documents.'

This is already a woman who refused to cooperate with her mental health evaluations while in prison where one would think it was manditory. 

Who is going to look over her shoulder every single day to make sure she takes her meds once she is free?  No One.   

Honored Contributor

I hope she can find a good attorney and fight this on some grounds unknown to me.  This is not right.  

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

She has refused to take any mental testing,and help while in there, this makes no sense.

@goldensrbest

To me, that means she doesn't think she did anything wrong and that there's nothing 'wrong' with her, which is particularly scary in her being released.

I get sick of these 'deals' made, that put dangerous people back on the street to victimize someone else.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Elizabeth Smart

[ Edited ]

@Big Joanie wrote:

Truly disturbing ... poor Elizabeth ....

@Big JoanieI wonder how she would react to that way of thinking of her.  She seems to be a well-adjusted young wife and mother, despite what happened to her...and not defined by it.

I've heard many times of people...victims or their families...showing up at parole hearings in an effort to keep the offender behind bars.  I wonder why it wasn't important enough for anyone in the Smart family...Elizabeth herself?...to be there to speak against the release.

Of course we may not be talking about it, there may not have been any articles, interviews, if that had happened.

Keepin' it real.