Respected Contributor

Barzee’s sentence had originally been scheduled to end Jan. 29, 2024. 

Barzee’s attorney argued that her time served in federal prison should have run concurrently with her state sentence.

Barzee’s time served includes 2,436 days served in jail and the Utah State Hospital from March 18, 2003, to Nov. 17, 2009. She was sentenced on May 21, 2010, to spend up to 15 years in prison for aggravated kidnapping.

Based on further review, the Utah Board of Pardons and Parole must count the time in federal prison as credit to the Utah sentence and therefore Barzee’s sentence ends on September 19, 2018.

This is not an early release. On September 19, Barzee will have spent 15 years in custody, which is the maximum amount of time allowed by her state conviction and sentence.

Conditions to Barzee’s parole include five years of supervised release, and she is also required to take prescribed mental health medications, according to court documents.

Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

She has refused to take any mental testing,and help while in there, this makes no sense.

@goldensrbest  I guess she doesn’t think there’s anything wrong with her. 

If this is parole, did Elizabeth Smart show up at the parole hearing?  That might have made a difference in whether she was paroled or not.

It was a terrible thing, what happened to Elizabeth smart. But what a waste of energy here when no one here can do anything. Although, it is important to express yourself; and I suppose that’s what’s going on here. 

Keepin' it real.
Super Contributor

Barzee NEVER showed up for her parole hearing!--so that's why Elizabeth never got a chance to express her concerns about her--crazy

Respected Contributor

Just as a civilized society has a responsibility to lock up people like this depraved woman, we have a responsibility to see that, upon release, she has a stable living situation and income so that she won't seek another depraved person to identify with, subjugate herself to, or prey on vulnerable others.  I hope she is supervised and finds herself worthy of self-help and a peaceful life.

The thing I most admired about Elizabeth Smart was her self-possessed strength to know "I have no time to think about those people".  I'd like to adopt that and leave the job to the authorities.

Esteemed Contributor

@danedylan wrote:

Barzee NEVER showed up for her parole hearing!--so that's why Elizabeth never got a chance to express her concerns about her--crazy

@danedylan

A. Was there a parole hearing?

B. Did ELIZABETH SMART show up for it?

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

Truly disturbing ... poor Elizabeth ....

Esteemed Contributor

I can't imagine any therapist or psychologist thinking a s*x offender could be rehabilitated. Disturbing  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@danedylan wrote:

@danedylan

A. Was there a parole hearing?

B. Did ELIZABETH SMART show up for it?

No, she was not there.  Ed Smart showed up at the end of the hearing and talked to the press. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

I hope she is supervised and finds herself worthy of self-help and a peaceful life.

I hope the rest of her life is a living hell.

Respected Contributor

@Daisy Sunflower wrote:

@Free2be wrote:

I hope she is supervised and finds herself worthy of self-help and a peaceful life.

I hope the rest of her life is a living hell.

Mental illness is a living hell in itself.