Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Ours isn't terrible. We are on a 'time of use' plan which has extremely low rates between 7pm and 9am. During summer, my husband set the dehumidifier to run only during those fourteen hours, and it made a big difference. I try to do laundry and baking when the rates are reduced by a third! 

I would love a "time of use" plan but my utility doesn't offer it, as far as I know.  It seems like they could - we have smart meters.

Honored Contributor

@qvcaddition @You're doing everything right. Try washing clothes in cold water ( except undies and towels). That helps. 

Respected Contributor

Compared to the insane cost of running one window unit in NYC circa early 80s, donated by a kind friend years ago when I was recuperating from an operation and very hot up at the fifth floor of my walkup, my electric bill is...30 years later... still lower than my Manhattan bill.  It's inching up, though.  Can't complain.

Honored Contributor

can't find nothing that hasn't went up.

Honored Contributor

WV, and last months bill was $300.

Honored Contributor

We get gas and electric in the same bill. Electric is 135.00 and gas is 60.00.

Esteemed Contributor

Actually my bill is lower, but I know the reason why. I am part of a program with my electric company (Southern California Edison) it's called the level pay plan. 

Basically, I lock in a flat fee that I am charged monthly based on my home usage for the previous 12 months. Once you hit that 12 month everything has to balance out. My last 12 month period period I was paying $126.00 a month. I used less electricity, so I had a credit. I have not had to pay a bill last month nor this month. I will have to pay again beginning in the month of November, and my fee has dropped to 103.00 a month. 

I know that it's dropped for two reasons. The average usage that I was being charged for the previous 12 months, was based on when I was working from home every day, using more electricity. I work a hybrid schedule now so I go into the office three days a week and work from home for two so obviously less electricity. I also installed a new energy efficient AC and a new furnace last summer, so that's  an additional reason that my electricity usage has been lower. 

I have the same plan with the gas company except they balance every six months. My gas bill increased from $36.00 a month to $41.00 which surprised me, since I definitely use less gas in the summertime so there must have been some sort of increase. 

I am one person in a 1600 Square foot home. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D 

@Mindy D wrote:

@qvcaddition @You're doing everything right. Try washing clothes in cold water ( except undies and towels). That helps. 

I do wash in cold water .  I even use shout pads, so I can group whites and color ltems together to save on water.  Thanks for the advise though. Believe me, I have never been  cheap, but this inflation has taught me how to cut back on so much and what I do need and not.  I do miss not being able to buy something that is not a necessiity Or just go out to lunch.

The problem is income. I am lucky I have a roof over my head though.  Some seniors are renting.  Also healthy, so don't have medical bills.  So I count my blessings.

Good Luck everyone and hope this storm and crazy world blows over.  I remember my Mother standing in line I think during the depression or right after and putting cardboard in the soles of my shoes because they had holes.  They had what was called WPA and it's a little foggy in my mind, but they were giving people stuff like a food bank now. Never thouught I would live to see this day.  Tried to get a job, because my mind and body go and I could do CS better than what is out there now, but no one will hire an old person, I've been trying. My generation has great work ethics.

Honored Contributor

Re: Electric bill going up

[ Edited ]

@qvcaddition @My best to you. I feel the inflation so much now myself. Have you called Medicare to see if you qualify to have your monthly Medicare PartB cost, around $170., waived? There are four types of help with Medicare costs. You might qualify. QVC is hiring Customer Service at home agents for quite a few states. I just looked. They might be hiring operators that take orders too but I didn't know what they are called, so I couldn't check. Schools are so desperate that here in Florida they are hiring military veterans without any college as teachers. I don't know your educational background but you might qualify to be a substitute teacher. Some districts are not requiring degrees now. Don't work with older kids. Some local governments and utilities are desperate for clerks. 

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for the information.  I have an appt Tues by phone, already filled out app online.  I will ask about the medicare cost. Wasn't aware of that, but I have good medical ins and don't want to lose it. Though so far, so good with health.

I have volunteer so much before covid, that you think and I don't look It, an (86 )year old could get a parttime job with all the help signs I see. I have a degree I got at 72.

I have plenty of experience, from life's experience.

I might rent out a room in my home through a program, called Share.

I wll look into some of your suggestions.  Thank you again for the great infomation.