Esteemed Contributor

@icezeus 

@icezeus wrote:

Actually my bill is lower, but I know the reason why. I am part of a program with my electric company (Southern California Edison) it's called the level pay plan. 

Basically, I lock in a flat fee that I am charged monthly based on my home usage for the previous 12 months. Once you hit that 12 month everything has to balance out. My last 12 month period period I was paying $126.00 a month. I used less electricity, so I had a credit. I have not had to pay a bill last month nor this month. I will have to pay again beginning in the month of November, and my fee has dropped to 103.00 a month. 

I know that it's dropped for two reasons. The average usage that I was being charged for the previous 12 months, was based on when I was working from home every day, using more electricity. I work a hybrid schedule now so I go into the office three days a week and work from home for two so obviously less electricity. I also installed a new energy efficient AC and a new furnace last summer, so that's  an additional reason that my electricity usage has been lower. 

I have the same plan with the gas company except they balance every six months. My gas bill increased from $36.00 a month to $41.00 which surprised me, since I definitely use less gas in the summertime so there must have been some sort of increase.

I am one person in a 1600 Square foot home. 

I have the same program here in CA., but a little different. They change mine every four months.

I walk around in the night with flameless candles. 

They change my rates every four months. I am also on PGE Care program for low income. Trying every program I can.  I was fine getting by until this inflation and my car, roof and elecric breaker box broke and took my savings. My home is 1300 sq. feet.

We will survive.  At least we have a roof over our heads. and help.

Esteemed Contributor

@qvcaddition 

Here is a suggestion for you. During out last heatwave we were warned constantly that we were straining our grid. One day was really bad, and it was just way to hot to loose AC. I received a text saying we needed to conserve not to have it shut down.

I came home from work and unplugged everything that was not needed. Even when items are plugged in i.e. my electric toothbrush it's still drawing electricity. Well, enough Californians did it since we did not loose power and the spoke about it in the news, the next day. There was an article titled the power of the text or something like that.  After that text they mentioned how our usage dropped all across Southern California. Anyway, that's a tip that you might be able to use. Unplug things that are not in immediate use. 

Hope this helps!!

Valued Contributor

August was the worst in the six years we've been living here. $600, but that was for a two-family home with two central airs running constantly and the pool pump running most of the time.  I expect a higher bill in July and August but that was ridiculous. September's bill went down $200 but is still high. We haven't run the A/C's because the weather got cooler and we closed the pool Labor Day weekend.  We normally average about $300 a month. They approved a rate hike earlier this year and we're all feeling it. CT doesn't produce its own electricity so the transfer rate is higher than the Kw rates.  I'd love to retire but that doesn't look like it's in the cards for the foreseeable future.  Guess I better start buying lottery tickets and pray.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Electric bill going up

[ Edited ]

I have unplugged everything I could.  During the hot spell we had in ca. I sat at the library, don,t have AC.