Honored Contributor

Re: Earthquake in California

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Living in Seattle area I know all about Earth Quakes and how frightening they are....small or otherwise.  The last big one here about 20 years ago...I was at work....everything in the store  was on the floor.  

That must have been the one that felt like a freight train was coming right through my house.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hey Suz!  Sorry you're not feeling well.  Smiley Sad   Hope you're feeling much better VERY soon!

I've dived the Channel Islands (boy could I tell stories!).  Anyway, it's very interesting out there.  I had a lot of fun.

Take care.  Heart

Frequent Contributor

I was living in NY too 7 years ago, I was watching QVC Jill Bauer was presenting and suddenly she jumped off her stool, because everything was shaking! I felt my bed rock back and forth, my first instinct was to run for the door, but by the time I grabbed my keys it was over. I'm not new to earth quakes, , having lived in the south of Italy I've gone through many, but still you can never get used to them, because you never know how bad it's going to be.

Honored Contributor

Channel Islands

Californian Channel Islands map en.png

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Living in Seattle area I know all about Earth Quakes and how frightening they are....small or otherwise.  The last big one here about 20 years ago...I was at work....everything in the store  was on the floor.  

That must have been the one that felt like a freight train was coming right through my house.

@tansy  Yes.... it was...

The 2001 Nisqually earthquake. The 2001 Nisqually earthquake (also commonly referred to as "The Ash Wednesday earthquake") occurred at 10:54:32 local time on February 28, 2001. The intraslab earthquake had a moment magnitude of 6.8 and a maximum Mercalli intensity of VIII (Severe).

Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

I'm sorry but in most places a 5 something quake isn't a big deal (I  understand on East Coast, where they don't build for any quakes it can cause a lot of damage).  From 6 on up quakes are frequently deadly.  I lived in Ridgecrest .CA for 25 years (otherwise known as "earthquake capitol").  Any tremor can be scary, I get it.

No, it isn't particularly strong, @patbz. I felt only a couple mild jolts. I just thought that I would share; plus, being sick leads to boredom, and boredom can lead to posting. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I felt a couple small jolts about 20 minutes ago. I figured it was either an earthquake or my being sick. :-) But then nextdoor.com went crazy. I don't know how widespread it was, but twitter is coming in from all over the place. Not verified: it was in the ocean near the Channel Islands and was a 5.0

How are you doing   @suzyQ3  ?

Feeling OK?  I hope nothing fell down in your house.

Honored Contributor

A 5+ earthquake CAN feel pretty severe, depending on where you are in relation to where the center is.  

That one year when we were having hundreds of little earthquakes a day I remember a couple of them that were just over 5 - 5.4 to 5.7, IIRC, and it was like jump out of bed and grab the TV so it doesn't fly off the shelf.

During that time 99% of them were smallish to small but it was such that I had all my cabinets taped closed and anything breakable I put safely somewhere low and covered.  I was glad when that was over.

But the center was pretty close to me and the ones that were 5 or over were enough to, if you weren't prepared (and a lot of people weren't) knock everything down, lots of breakage, and house damage.

Honored Contributor

I spent my first 61 years in Southern California and lived through many quakes, including the Northridge quake. Even a 5.0 can be scary depending where you are.

I always could feel any shaker that was 3.0 or higher.

Honored Contributor

I didn't know you were sick @suzyQ3  I hope it's something mild, take care.